[gothic-l] Computer as more than a person who computes

  • Jay Bowks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 1999
      JDM wrote:
      > This is a great idea! I love your attention to detail here.
      > Unfortunately it won't work. It so happens that among the modern
      >Latinist comunity (Haw haw haw! What a bunch of nuts! Trying to revive
      >a dead language like Latin! It's so obscure!) there's a lot of debate
      >about how to say computer. No one who knows what they're doing
      >seriously suggests _computator_ though, as this would mean "man who
      >professionally calculates", and a computer is not a man.

      The term "computer" was originally a person who confirmed
      or made sure computations were accurate. There is a funny
      anecdote where Einstein is sure of a formula he had just
      come out with and impatiently could hardly wait for his
      computer to confirm the findings. The term "computator"
      is accepted by the IALA, and has been in the Interlingua-
      English Dictionary since 1951.

      To recap, basing a Neo-Gothic term on the basis of "computer"
      is actually well supported.

      In Spanish, (which ic more heavily influenced by the Goths,
      i.e. Visi-Goths, than other romance langs :-) the word
      computer is "computadora" or "ordenador" and the person
      who computes is a "computador" (notice the absent female
      ending -a ;-)

      Since,
      ILVI
    • Tomas Mac an Chrosain
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 1999
        Is there a word for abacus (counting board) in any of the Gothic
        vocabularies? Perhaps an equivalent word for a calculator and, by
        extension, computer could have already existed by whatever the abacus
        was called in Gothic.
        BTW, do any glosses exist in Gothic? I mean the marginal notes written
        to translate words from another language into Gothic? A lot of Old
        Irish exists in the form of glosses on other texts.
        Mediaeval European accountants used the abacus or "counting board"
        before algorithmic arithmetic was brought from the adoption of
        Hindu-Arabic numerals. The Goths were probably using this method or
        using talltsticks during the time that their culture flourished. Ancient
        Scandinavians were using tallysticks. Of course, this is a far cry from
        a computer, but they all kind of relate don't they (i.e. in the
        continuum of tools used for calculating)?
        Or, take the word for accountant and replace the male/female gender with
        the neuter ending??
        The Norse word mentioned earlier looks like it could be related to the
        English word toll and tally.
        Tomas