Re: Viseu, Cava & s/j

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
      --- In gothic-l@y..., "Carlos Carvalho" <cdecarvalho@s...> wrote:
      > There is another Viseu (Viseu de Sus/Viseu de Jos) in northern
      Romenia,
      > near the ucranian border, by a river of the same name.
      > Interesting to notice that romanian pronounciation would be Vijeu
      > (confirmation please).

      In fact, the Viseu of Romania is written with a "s" with cedilla
      under it, that is pronounced like the English "sh", thus [Visheu]. In
      Hungarian it is Visó, pronounced something like "Vishow"
      (hungarian "s" = English "sh"). I don't know the origin of this name;
      it could be Slavic, but a pre-Romanic origin is not to be excluded.