The Gepidic Language

  • Bertil Haggman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2002
      Some gravestones over buried Gepids are available:

      .. Pidius
      ...Ermes et
      Gepidia Irene
      se vivi sibi fec
      julia victoriae

      D.M
      .... gaepidius
      theodorus vixit
      annis XI mens XI
      dieb XXVIII marciana
      ..t verna filio dul
      cissimo fecit
      benemerenti

      (These two are from Rome and Ostia)

      D.M.
      D.M.S.L. VA
      lerius heu
      tices vix an
      nis LXXi geb
      silvana co
      noux fecit

      (From Lambaesis, Africa)

      Gepidically

      Bertil
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2002
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b@t...> wrote:
        > Underneath a few examples of Gepidic words:
        >
        > People = thiuda
        > King= reiks
        > Blood=bloth
        > Man= wair
        > Father= atta, fadar
        > Mother= aithei
        > Son=sunus
        >
        > Comments on similarity with the Gothic language
        > would be welcome.

        Now I know where you got this list from. It is picked from H. Sevin's
        book 'Die Gebiden'. Unfortunately, Sevin is very shy with his
        sources, often leaving his readers to guess where his material comes
        from. However, if you read his text carefully, you will find that he
        implies that the words are taken from the Wulfila bible (e.g. look
        under the entry for mother). Thus, these are in fact Gothic words
        assumed by Sevin to be identical or very similar to Gepidic words.
        Hence, a discussion about their similarity with the Gothic language
        is rather unecessary, because they are Gothic.