Re: The Gepidic Language

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18 2:58 AM
      --- In gothic-l@y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b@t...> wrote:
      > Underneath a few examples of Gepidic words:
      >
      > People = thiuda
      > King= reiks
      > Blood=bloth
      > Man= wair
      > Father= atta, fadar
      > Mother= aithei
      > Son=sunus

      What are the primary sources for these words that allow you to
      identify these words as Gepidic rather than Gothic?

      Dirk
    • Bertil Haggman
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18 10:51 PM
        Some gravestones over buried Gepids are available:

        .. Pidius
        ...Ermes et
        Gepidia Irene
        se vivi sibi fec
        julia victoriae

        D.M
        .... gaepidius
        theodorus vixit
        annis XI mens XI
        dieb XXVIII marciana
        ..t verna filio dul
        cissimo fecit
        benemerenti

        (These two are from Rome and Ostia)

        D.M.
        D.M.S.L. VA
        lerius heu
        tices vix an
        nis LXXi geb
        silvana co
        noux fecit

        (From Lambaesis, Africa)

        Gepidically

        Bertil
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18 11:01 PM
          --- In gothic-l@y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b@t...> wrote:
          > Underneath a few examples of Gepidic words:
          >
          > People = thiuda
          > King= reiks
          > Blood=bloth
          > Man= wair
          > Father= atta, fadar
          > Mother= aithei
          > Son=sunus
          >
          > Comments on similarity with the Gothic language
          > would be welcome.

          Now I know where you got this list from. It is picked from H. Sevin's
          book 'Die Gebiden'. Unfortunately, Sevin is very shy with his
          sources, often leaving his readers to guess where his material comes
          from. However, if you read his text carefully, you will find that he
          implies that the words are taken from the Wulfila bible (e.g. look
          under the entry for mother). Thus, these are in fact Gothic words
          assumed by Sevin to be identical or very similar to Gepidic words.
          Hence, a discussion about their similarity with the Gothic language
          is rather unecessary, because they are Gothic.