Re: "The hunt for Odin"

  • einarbirg
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
      --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
      > --- In gothic-l@y..., george knysh <gknysh@y...> wrote:
      > > Thor Heyerdahl's book by that title was published in
      > > Norwegian in late 2001. An English language version is
      > > expected to be available in November 2002. Here is a
      > > link to an extremely unflattering review of this opus,
      > > which dismisses Heyerdahl and his colleague as
      > > incompetent pseudo-scientists dabbling in matters they
      > > know less than nothing about. The rejection is so
      > > strong, in fact, that it might perhaps generate some
      > > doubt as to the whether Heyerdahl's book is that
      > > bad...Those of us who do not understand Norwegian will
      > > have to wait for the English text. But I find the
      > > critics' misunderstanding of the mediaeval dialogue
      > > form as a useful method for serious scientific debate,
      > > and their obiter accusations against Omeljan Pritsak's
      > > work (Heyerdahl certainly didn't get any of his Odin
      > > views from the latter!!) just as troublesome as the
      > > Heyerdahl contentions (if these have in fact been
      > > reported correctly).
      > >
      > > http://www.hf.uib.no/i/Nordisk/MaalogMinne/artikler/heyerdahl-
      v1.pdf

      > Hi George,
      >
      > thanks for the link to the review of Heryerdahl's latest book. The
      > review is indeed devastating. The authors of the review are well-
      > established scholars, including Prof. Christian Keller of Oslo
      > University. Thus, there should be little reason to doubt their
      > competency, especially since their review is in line with comments
      > from other archaeologists and historians. The overwhelming view
      seems
      > to be that Heyerdahl's book is fiction and fantasy not scholarly
      > science. But given his reputation, it will likely be successful
      and
      > sell more copies than real research into these matters ('petchalno,
      > no fakt', as Stalin used to say:-))
      >
      > cheers,
      > Dirk

      ####### Hi Dirk.
      I dont think you read the latter part of the letter from George.
      I have commented on the review in two letters on Germ-L.
      The review is just as devastating for the reputation of the critics
      as for H and &. Even commenting on a book (or "works"!)they have not
      read. There is good reason to question the critics competency and
      their motivation. And the review, laced with arrogance, emotional
      (and almost religious) overtones does (as George says) raise the
      doubt in the reader´s mind, if the book is really as bad as they say.

      Cheers Einar.##########
    • Sahin Ahmet
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
        There are false arguments in the critics as to turkish&mongolian presence in Europe and causcasia, the critics assume the first arrival to be in 12th century. In fact the hunnic arrival was the first one. They ignored this in their very harsh criticism.
        einarbirg wrote:--- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
        > --- In gothic-l@y..., george knysh <gknysh@y...> wrote:
        > > Thor Heyerdahl's book by that title was published in
        > > Norwegian in late 2001. An English language version is
        > > expected to be available in November 2002. Here is a
        > > link to an extremely unflattering review of this opus,
        > > which dismisses Heyerdahl and his colleague as
        > > incompetent pseudo-scientists dabbling in matters they
        > > know less than nothing about. The rejection is so
        > > strong, in fact, that it might perhaps generate some
        > > doubt as to the whether Heyerdahl's book is that
        > > bad...Those of us who do not understand Norwegian will
        > > have to wait for the English text. But I find the
        > > critics' misunderstanding of the mediaeval dialogue
        > > form as a useful method for serious scientific debate,
        > > and their obiter accusations against Omeljan Pritsak's
        > > work (Heyerdahl certainly didn't get any of his Odin
        > > views from the latter!!) just as troublesome as the
        > > Heyerdahl contentions (if these have in fact been
        > > reported correctly).
        > >
        > > http://www.hf.uib.no/i/Nordisk/MaalogMinne/artikler/heyerdahl-
        v1.pdf

        > Hi George,
        >
        > thanks for the link to the review of Heryerdahl's latest book. The
        > review is indeed devastating. The authors of the review are well-
        > established scholars, including Prof. Christian Keller of Oslo
        > University. Thus, there should be little reason to doubt their
        > competency, especially since their review is in line with comments
        > from other archaeologists and historians. The overwhelming view
        seems
        > to be that Heyerdahl's book is fiction and fantasy not scholarly
        > science. But given his reputation, it will likely be successful
        and
        > sell more copies than real research into these matters ('petchalno,
        > no fakt', as Stalin used to say:-))
        >
        > cheers,
        > Dirk

        ####### Hi Dirk.
        I dont think you read the latter part of the letter from George.
        I have commented on the review in two letters on Germ-L.
        The review is just as devastating for the reputation of the critics
        as for H and &. Even commenting on a book (or "works"!)they have not
        read. There is good reason to question the critics competency and
        their motivation. And the review, laced with arrogance, emotional
        (and almost religious) overtones does (as George says) raise the
        doubt in the reader�s mind, if the book is really as bad as they say.

        Cheers Einar.##########

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] [input] ADVERTISEMENT
        I'm a Woman Man seeking a Man Woman Enter city or ZIP [input] Age: [input] to [input] [input] Show only ads with photos [input]

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2002
          --- In gothic-l@y..., "einarbirg" <einarbirg@y...> wrote:
          > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
          > > --- In gothic-l@y..., george knysh <gknysh@y...> wrote:
          > > > Thor Heyerdahl's book by that title was published in
          > > > Norwegian in late 2001. An English language version is
          > > > expected to be available in November 2002. Here is a
          > > > link to an extremely unflattering review of this opus,
          > > > which dismisses Heyerdahl and his colleague as
          > > > incompetent pseudo-scientists dabbling in matters they
          > > > know less than nothing about. The rejection is so
          > > > strong, in fact, that it might perhaps generate some
          > > > doubt as to the whether Heyerdahl's book is that
          > > > bad...Those of us who do not understand Norwegian will
          > > > have to wait for the English text. But I find the
          > > > critics' misunderstanding of the mediaeval dialogue
          > > > form as a useful method for serious scientific debate,
          > > > and their obiter accusations against Omeljan Pritsak's
          > > > work (Heyerdahl certainly didn't get any of his Odin
          > > > views from the latter!!) just as troublesome as the
          > > > Heyerdahl contentions (if these have in fact been
          > > > reported correctly).
          > > >
          > > > http://www.hf.uib.no/i/Nordisk/MaalogMinne/artikler/heyerdahl-
          > v1.pdf
          > > >

          > > Hi George,
          > >
          > > thanks for the link to the review of Heryerdahl's latest book.
          The
          > > review is indeed devastating. The authors of the review are well-
          > > established scholars, including Prof. Christian Keller of Oslo
          > > University. Thus, there should be little reason to doubt their
          > > competency, especially since their review is in line with
          comments
          > > from other archaeologists and historians. The overwhelming view
          > seems
          > > to be that Heyerdahl's book is fiction and fantasy not scholarly
          > > science. But given his reputation, it will likely be successful
          > and
          > > sell more copies than real research into these matters
          ('petchalno,
          > > no fakt', as Stalin used to say:-))
          > >
          > > cheers,
          > > Dirk
          >
          > ####### Hi Dirk.
          > I dont think you read the latter part of the letter from George.
          > I have commented on the review in two letters on Germ-L.
          > The review is just as devastating for the reputation of the critics
          > as for H and &. Even commenting on a book (or "works"!)they have
          not
          > read. There is good reason to question the critics competency and
          > their motivation. And the review, laced with arrogance, emotional
          > (and almost religious) overtones does (as George says) raise the
          > doubt in the reader´s mind, if the book is really as bad as they
          say.

          > Cheers Einar.##########

          There was an equally devastating review/side-note about Heyerdahl's
          book in Die Kunde, an archaeology journal. Nevertheless, the book
          will come out in English soon and then we will all see who was right.
          So lets wait.