Gundestrup (Jutland) in Bavaria

  • Bertil Haggman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 21 1:21 AM
      For an international look at Gundestrup
      I'd like to recommend

      SEM-Identification and Documentation
      of Tool Marks and Surface Textures on the
      Gundestrup Cauldron, Recent Advances in the
      Conservation and Analysis of Artifacts. 1987.

      The Bergquist-Taylor article on the cauldron
      in Antiquity, March 1987.

      Gothically

      Bertil Haggman
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 21 2:09 AM
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b@t...> wrote:
        > This enigmatic bowl has variously been attributed
        > to the Celts, Goths and Thracians.
        >
        > Looking at the phalera from Gundestrup and comparing to
        > ones found in Rawalpindi and on Sark Island in the English
        > Channel, one could well find a Eurasian link. Where and who
        > made Gundestrup is not clear.

        A large amount of material has been published on the Gundestrup
        kettle. It is Thracian-Celtic and belongs likely to the late La Tene
        culture. The Goths have not even the slightest thing to do with it.
        They turned up in the region were the kettle was made some 500 years
        later!

        > The Sark Island cauldrons were found in 1718 and are now
        > lost but detailed drawings exist.
        >
        > There could even be Gothic-Indian links. First from India to
        > the Goths in Thrace, where the cauldron most likely was made,
        > and thence to Denmark. The deities on the cauldron are
        > pancultural so the connection to the Celts is very questionable.

        No, what is questionable is your insistance that the cauldron is
        Gothic or even Indian, which flies in the face of every serious
        research. These hapless attempts to prove a Scandinavian origin of
        the East Germanic Goths casts a very dubious light on the few serious
        people left who believe in that theory as well.