Eruli personal names

  • Bertil Haggman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2002
      Connecting to the earlier bringing up of Suartuas on the list,
      the Eruli royal name, I am turning to a few lesser
      known Eruli names mentioned in Procopius
      _History of the Wars_. Etymological comments
      gratefully received.

      Aluith, Erulian commander: VI, 13:18

      Phanitheus, Erulian commander, VI, 17:1

      Visandus, Erulian commander VII, 1:35

      Aluith – a commentary

      Probably connected to the Skilfing King Alrek (short form Alle). In Goeinge, Scania province, according to popular myth King Alle ruled at the bottom of the Ivoe Lake from his castle Brattingsborg.

      Bertil
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b@t...> wrote:
        > Connecting to the earlier bringing up of Suartuas on the list,
        > the Eruli royal name, I am turning to a few lesser
        > known Eruli names mentioned in Procopius
        > _History of the Wars_. Etymological comments
        > gratefully received.
        >
        > Aluith, Erulian commander: VI, 13:18
        >
        > Phanitheus, Erulian commander, VI, 17:1
        >
        > Visandus, Erulian commander VII, 1:35
        >
        > Aluith – a commentary
        >
        > Probably connected to the Skilfing King Alrek (short form Alle). In
        Goeinge, Scania province, according to popular myth King Alle ruled
        at the bottom of the Ivoe Lake from his castle Brattingsborg.

        Aluith, may also be related to <Alvitus> 9th at Lorsch, <Allvid> 10th
        cent. Paderborn. These forms appear to be much more closely related
        to Aluith than Alrek.

        Dirk

        > Bertil
      • greg scaff
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
          Hails,
          I would like to know what are the historical and linguistic scholarly journals which occasionaly and/or regularly feature Gothic studies, especially those in English or which can be found in an American college library. I realise most such are probably not in English, or not readily found in America, but I would be very grateful in hearing about what's availible in print.

          Thank you.

          Graig

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • greg scaff