Re: Suartuas / Grimm's Inventions - was ::: HÁILS :::

  • troels_brandt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      8 months ago in the thread "Names of Heruls" we discussed the
      background of a group of names in Germanic language. Iustenius was so
      kind to provide us with a list from David Salo.

      One of the names I searched for was the name of the Herulian general
      Suartuas, which name David Salo combined with Germanic "Swart".

      In the letter from Garry T. today I find the name Surtur in an
      earlier list from Matt of Norse gods translated to
      Gothic "hypothetical words deemed plausible by Jakob Grimm":

      Surtur in ON = *Swartus in Gothic

      Could Procopius' name Suartuas be the ON name Surtur/SurtR?

      - and if so, which form was the original?

      Troels