Re: Heyderdahl

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
      --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
      > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
      >

      > > > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after
      they
      > > > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.
      > >

      > > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this
      nowadays.
      > > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
      > remains
      > > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
      > plenty
      > > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is
      probably
      > > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
      > west
      > > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
      > > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in
      the
      > > first place.
      > >
      > > Dirk
      >
      > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
      > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
      Thomas
      > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
      > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
      > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
      > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
      >
      > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
      > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
      > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate
      his
      > tomb?
      >
      > Hilsen

      Hi Hilsen,

      I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
      grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
      some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
      discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
      Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody arround
      anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)

      The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
      treasure hunters in future:

      „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus den
      Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! / Und
      den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, / Die
      den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"

      cheers
      Dirk
    • tigerlipped
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
        > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

        > they
        > > >

        > > > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this
        > nowadays.
        > > > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
        > > remains
        > > > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
        > > plenty
        > > > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is
        > probably
        > > > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
        > > west
        > > > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
        > > > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in
        > the
        > > > first place.
        > > >
        > > > Dirk
        > >
        > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
        > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
        > Thomas
        > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
        > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
        > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
        > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
        > >
        > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
        > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
        > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate
        > his
        > > tomb?
        > >
        > > Hilsen
        >

        > Hi Hilsen,
        >
        > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
        > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
        > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
        > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
        > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody arround
        > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
        >
        > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
        > treasure hunters in future:
        >
        > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus den
        > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! / Und
        > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, / Die
        > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
        >
        > cheers
        > Dirk

        Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
        curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I wouldn't
        mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
        watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
        again.;-)

        Hilsen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
          --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
          > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
          > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

          > > they

          > > nowadays.
          > > > remains
          > > > plenty
          > > probably
          > > > west
          > > the

          > > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if
          you
          > > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
          > > Thomas
          > > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
          > > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
          > > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
          > > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
          > > >
          > > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into
          its
          > > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with
          > > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to
          locate
          > > his
          > > > tomb?
          > > >
          > > > Hilsen
          > >

          > > Hi Hilsen,
          > >
          > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
          > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
          > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
          > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
          > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
          arround
          > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
          > >
          > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
          > > treasure hunters in future:
          > >
          > > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
          den
          > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
          Und
          > > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
          Die
          > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
          > >
          > > cheers
          > > Dirk
          >
          > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
          > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
          wouldn't
          > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
          > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
          > again.;-)
          >
          > Hilsen

          Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
          had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
          sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
          even as native speaker.

          cheers,
          Dirk
        • Pat Christiansen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
            faltin2001 <dirk@...> wrote:
            --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
            > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
            > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

            > > they

            > > nowadays.
            > > > remains
            > > > plenty
            > > probably
            > > > west
            > > the

            > > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if
            you
            > > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
            > > Thomas
            > > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
            > > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
            > > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
            > > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
            > > >
            > > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into
            its
            > > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with
            > > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to
            locate
            > > his
            > > > tomb?
            > > >
            > > > Hilsen
            > >

            > > Hi Hilsen,
            > >
            > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
            > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
            > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
            > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
            > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
            arround
            > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
            > >
            > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
            > > treasure hunters in future:
            > >
            > > �N�chtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
            den
            > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
            Und
            > > den Flu� hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
            Die
            > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
            > >
            > > cheers
            > > Dirk
            >
            > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
            > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
            wouldn't
            > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
            > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
            > again.;-)
            >
            > Hilsen

            Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
            had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
            sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
            even as native speaker.

            cheers,
            Dirk

            Thank you, Dirk, for your reply. I just realized I have not given you or the readers of this site my name. It is, Ben, and I live in Western Canada, and the U.S..I am interested in the origin of the so-called Indo-European languages. Are you in Germany? If so, what part?

            Ben

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2002
              --- In gothic-l@y..., Pat Christiansen <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

              > faltin2001 <dirk@s...> wrote:
              > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

              > after
              > > > they
              Goti.

              > > > nowadays.
              cultural
              > > > probably
              > further
              > the
              > in
              > > > the

              > you
              > > > Thomas
              Gothic

              > its
              > locate
              > > > his

              > > > Hi Hilsen,
              > > >
              > > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
              > > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s
              caused
              > > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
              > > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
              > > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
              > arround
              > > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
              > > >
              > > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
              > > > treasure hunters in future:
              > > >
              > > > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
              > den
              > > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
              > Und
              > > > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
              > Die
              > > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
              > > >
              > > > cheers
              > > > Dirk
              > >
              > > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
              > > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
              > wouldn't
              > > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
              > > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
              > > again.;-)
              > >
              > > Hilsen
              >

              > Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
              > had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
              > sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
              > even as native speaker.
              >
              > cheers,
              > Dirk
              >

              > Thank you, Dirk, for your reply. I just realized I have not given
              you or the readers of this site my name. It is, Ben, and I live in
              Western Canada, and the U.S..I am interested in the origin of the so-
              called Indo-European languages. Are you in Germany? If so, what part?

              > Ben

              Hi Ben,

              I am German, from northern Germany (Lower Saxony), but I am living in
              London with my family at the moment.

              cheers