Re: Heyderdahl

  • tigerlipped
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
      --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

      > > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after they
      > > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.
      >

      > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this nowadays.
      > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
      remains
      > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
      plenty
      > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is probably
      > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
      west
      > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
      > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in the
      > first place.
      >
      > Dirk

      Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
      please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by Thomas
      Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
      Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
      Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
      leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.

      When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
      normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
      great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate his
      tomb?

      Hilsen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
        > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
        >

        > > > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after
        they
        > > > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.
        > >

        > > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this
        nowadays.
        > > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
        > remains
        > > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
        > plenty
        > > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is
        probably
        > > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
        > west
        > > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
        > > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in
        the
        > > first place.
        > >
        > > Dirk
        >
        > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
        > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
        Thomas
        > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
        > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
        > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
        > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
        >
        > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
        > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
        > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate
        his
        > tomb?
        >
        > Hilsen

        Hi Hilsen,

        I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
        grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
        some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
        discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
        Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody arround
        anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)

        The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
        treasure hunters in future:

        „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus den
        Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! / Und
        den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, / Die
        den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"

        cheers
        Dirk
      • tigerlipped
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
          --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
          > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

          > they
          > > >

          > > > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this
          > nowadays.
          > > > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
          > > remains
          > > > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
          > > plenty
          > > > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is
          > probably
          > > > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
          > > west
          > > > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
          > > > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in
          > the
          > > > first place.
          > > >
          > > > Dirk
          > >
          > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
          > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
          > Thomas
          > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
          > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
          > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
          > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
          > >
          > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
          > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
          > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate
          > his
          > > tomb?
          > >
          > > Hilsen
          >

          > Hi Hilsen,
          >
          > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
          > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
          > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
          > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
          > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody arround
          > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
          >
          > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
          > treasure hunters in future:
          >
          > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus den
          > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! / Und
          > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, / Die
          > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
          >
          > cheers
          > Dirk

          Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
          curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I wouldn't
          mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
          watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
          again.;-)

          Hilsen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
            --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
            > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
            > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

            > > they

            > > nowadays.
            > > > remains
            > > > plenty
            > > probably
            > > > west
            > > the

            > > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if
            you
            > > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
            > > Thomas
            > > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
            > > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
            > > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
            > > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
            > > >
            > > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into
            its
            > > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with
            > > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to
            locate
            > > his
            > > > tomb?
            > > >
            > > > Hilsen
            > >

            > > Hi Hilsen,
            > >
            > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
            > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
            > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
            > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
            > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
            arround
            > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
            > >
            > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
            > > treasure hunters in future:
            > >
            > > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
            den
            > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
            Und
            > > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
            Die
            > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
            > >
            > > cheers
            > > Dirk
            >
            > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
            > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
            wouldn't
            > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
            > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
            > again.;-)
            >
            > Hilsen

            Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
            had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
            sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
            even as native speaker.

            cheers,
            Dirk
          • Pat Christiansen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
              faltin2001 <dirk@...> wrote:
              --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
              > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
              > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

              > > they

              > > nowadays.
              > > > remains
              > > > plenty
              > > probably
              > > > west
              > > the

              > > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if
              you
              > > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
              > > Thomas
              > > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
              > > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
              > > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
              > > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
              > > >
              > > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into
              its
              > > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with
              > > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to
              locate
              > > his
              > > > tomb?
              > > >
              > > > Hilsen
              > >

              > > Hi Hilsen,
              > >
              > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
              > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
              > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
              > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
              > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
              arround
              > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
              > >
              > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
              > > treasure hunters in future:
              > >
              > > �N�chtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
              den
              > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
              Und
              > > den Flu� hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
              Die
              > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
              > >
              > > cheers
              > > Dirk
              >
              > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
              > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
              wouldn't
              > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
              > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
              > again.;-)
              >
              > Hilsen

              Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
              had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
              sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
              even as native speaker.

              cheers,
              Dirk

              Thank you, Dirk, for your reply. I just realized I have not given you or the readers of this site my name. It is, Ben, and I live in Western Canada, and the U.S..I am interested in the origin of the so-called Indo-European languages. Are you in Germany? If so, what part?

              Ben

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2002
                --- In gothic-l@y..., Pat Christiansen <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

                > faltin2001 <dirk@s...> wrote:
                > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
                > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

                > after
                > > > they
                Goti.

                > > > nowadays.
                cultural
                > > > probably
                > further
                > the
                > in
                > > > the

                > you
                > > > Thomas
                Gothic

                > its
                > locate
                > > > his

                > > > Hi Hilsen,
                > > >
                > > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
                > > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s
                caused
                > > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
                > > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
                > > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
                > arround
                > > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
                > > >
                > > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
                > > > treasure hunters in future:
                > > >
                > > > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
                > den
                > > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
                > Und
                > > > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
                > Die
                > > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
                > > >
                > > > cheers
                > > > Dirk
                > >
                > > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
                > > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
                > wouldn't
                > > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
                > > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
                > > again.;-)
                > >
                > > Hilsen
                >

                > Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
                > had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
                > sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
                > even as native speaker.
                >
                > cheers,
                > Dirk
                >

                > Thank you, Dirk, for your reply. I just realized I have not given
                you or the readers of this site my name. It is, Ben, and I live in
                Western Canada, and the U.S..I am interested in the origin of the so-
                called Indo-European languages. Are you in Germany? If so, what part?

                > Ben

                Hi Ben,

                I am German, from northern Germany (Lower Saxony), but I am living in
                London with my family at the moment.

                cheers