Re: [gothic-l] Digest Number 592

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2002
      Dear Carlos,

      Fell welcome to the list!I am glad you wrote about this. I was in 1992
      on a research trip searching traces of the Visigoths, specially stelae
      and stone sculpture and later I published an article on the topic. I
      visited also Coimbra with it's beutiful peacocksculptures in the
      Cathedral upholding a Visigothic tradition. Still better, however, was
      Braga with a wonderful lapidarium and a well preserved Arian, visigothic
      chapel. I also went to Merida with its marvellous Visigothic lapidarium
      and also a Roman-Visigothic museum. I had earlier visited Narbonne,
      Carcassone, Leon and other places in Asturia and Toledo for the same
      reason. You live indeed in a wonderful historical milieu in the old
      Visigothic realm in Portugal and Spain. Woluld like to know more about
      the office and background of the Counts of Coimbra. Since this is also
      the oldest university in Portugal the city ought to have a great history.

      Best
      Ingemar