Heyderdahl

  • tigerlipped
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2002
      Has Heyderdahl's excavations in Russia been connected in any way to
      the Ostrogoths? It seems a natural.

      Hilsen
    • Bertil Haggman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2002
        As far as I know the Heyerdahl excavations (Heyerdahl passed
        way this spring) had no connection to the Ostrogoths. The latest
        book by Thor Heyerdahl and his Swedish co-writer has been
        widely discussed on the Gothic-L and if you search the archive
        you can find much on the subject.

        If you want to know more try the title of the book, _Odin in Azov_ in
        one of the search engines.

        The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after they
        migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.

        Gothically

        Bertil Haggman

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002

          > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after they
          > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.

          Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this nowadays.
          There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural remains
          in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been plenty
          of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is probably
          more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further west
          of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
          Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in the
          first place.

          Dirk
        • tigerlipped
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
            --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

            > > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after they
            > > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.
            >

            > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this nowadays.
            > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
            remains
            > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
            plenty
            > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is probably
            > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
            west
            > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
            > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in the
            > first place.
            >
            > Dirk

            Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
            please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by Thomas
            Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
            Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
            Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
            leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.

            When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
            normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
            great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate his
            tomb?

            Hilsen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
              --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
              > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
              >

              > > > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after
              they
              > > > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.
              > >

              > > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this
              nowadays.
              > > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
              > remains
              > > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
              > plenty
              > > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is
              probably
              > > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
              > west
              > > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
              > > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in
              the
              > > first place.
              > >
              > > Dirk
              >
              > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
              > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
              Thomas
              > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
              > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
              > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
              > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
              >
              > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
              > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
              > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate
              his
              > tomb?
              >
              > Hilsen

              Hi Hilsen,

              I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
              grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
              some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
              discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
              Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody arround
              anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)

              The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
              treasure hunters in future:

              „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus den
              Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! / Und
              den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, / Die
              den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"

              cheers
              Dirk
            • tigerlipped
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2002
                --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
                > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

                > they
                > > >

                > > > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this
                > nowadays.
                > > > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
                > > remains
                > > > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
                > > plenty
                > > > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is
                > probably
                > > > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
                > > west
                > > > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
                > > > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in
                > the
                > > > first place.
                > > >
                > > > Dirk
                > >
                > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
                > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
                > Thomas
                > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
                > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
                > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
                > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
                > >
                > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
                > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
                > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate
                > his
                > > tomb?
                > >
                > > Hilsen
                >

                > Hi Hilsen,
                >
                > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
                > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
                > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
                > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
                > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody arround
                > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
                >
                > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
                > treasure hunters in future:
                >
                > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus den
                > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! / Und
                > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, / Die
                > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
                >
                > cheers
                > Dirk

                Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
                curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I wouldn't
                mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
                watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
                again.;-)

                Hilsen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
                  --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
                  > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

                  > > they

                  > > nowadays.
                  > > > remains
                  > > > plenty
                  > > probably
                  > > > west
                  > > the

                  > > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if
                  you
                  > > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
                  > > Thomas
                  > > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
                  > > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
                  > > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
                  > > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
                  > > >
                  > > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into
                  its
                  > > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with
                  > > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to
                  locate
                  > > his
                  > > > tomb?
                  > > >
                  > > > Hilsen
                  > >

                  > > Hi Hilsen,
                  > >
                  > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
                  > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
                  > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
                  > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
                  > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
                  arround
                  > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
                  > >
                  > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
                  > > treasure hunters in future:
                  > >
                  > > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
                  den
                  > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
                  Und
                  > > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
                  Die
                  > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
                  > >
                  > > cheers
                  > > Dirk
                  >
                  > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
                  > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
                  wouldn't
                  > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
                  > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
                  > again.;-)
                  >
                  > Hilsen

                  Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
                  had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
                  sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
                  even as native speaker.

                  cheers,
                  Dirk
                • Pat Christiansen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
                    faltin2001 <dirk@...> wrote:
                    --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
                    > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

                    > > they

                    > > nowadays.
                    > > > remains
                    > > > plenty
                    > > probably
                    > > > west
                    > > the

                    > > > Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if
                    you
                    > > > please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
                    > > Thomas
                    > > > Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
                    > > > Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
                    > > > Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
                    > > > leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
                    > > >
                    > > > When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into
                    its
                    > > > normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with
                    > > > great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to
                    locate
                    > > his
                    > > > tomb?
                    > > >
                    > > > Hilsen
                    > >

                    > > Hi Hilsen,
                    > >
                    > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
                    > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
                    > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
                    > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
                    > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
                    arround
                    > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
                    > >
                    > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
                    > > treasure hunters in future:
                    > >
                    > > �N�chtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
                    den
                    > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
                    Und
                    > > den Flu� hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
                    Die
                    > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
                    > >
                    > > cheers
                    > > Dirk
                    >
                    > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
                    > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
                    wouldn't
                    > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
                    > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
                    > again.;-)
                    >
                    > Hilsen

                    Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
                    had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
                    sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
                    even as native speaker.

                    cheers,
                    Dirk

                    Thank you, Dirk, for your reply. I just realized I have not given you or the readers of this site my name. It is, Ben, and I live in Western Canada, and the U.S..I am interested in the origin of the so-called Indo-European languages. Are you in Germany? If so, what part?

                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 11, 2002
                      --- In gothic-l@y..., Pat Christiansen <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:

                      > faltin2001 <dirk@s...> wrote:
                      > --- In gothic-l@y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

                      > after
                      > > > they
                      Goti.

                      > > > nowadays.
                      cultural
                      > > > probably
                      > further
                      > the
                      > in
                      > > > the

                      > you
                      > > > Thomas
                      Gothic

                      > its
                      > locate
                      > > > his

                      > > > Hi Hilsen,
                      > > >
                      > > > I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
                      > > > grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s
                      caused
                      > > > some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
                      > > > discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
                      > > > Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody
                      > arround
                      > > > anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)
                      > > >
                      > > > The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
                      > > > treasure hunters in future:
                      > > >
                      > > > „Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus
                      > den
                      > > > Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! /
                      > Und
                      > > > den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, /
                      > Die
                      > > > den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"
                      > > >
                      > > > cheers
                      > > > Dirk
                      > >
                      > > Thank you Dirk for your interesting reply. You have whetted my
                      > > curiosity.Although my German is wanting, to say the least, I
                      > wouldn't
                      > > mind being the ear into which the eddying Busento whispers it's
                      > > watery secrets. (Did I receive the gist of the verse?) Thank you
                      > > again.;-)
                      > >
                      > > Hilsen
                      >

                      > Something like that, yes. Don't worry if you find that difficult, I
                      > had to learn the whole poem in school, but the structure of the
                      > sentences is so complicated that I found that extremely difficult,
                      > even as native speaker.
                      >
                      > cheers,
                      > Dirk
                      >

                      > Thank you, Dirk, for your reply. I just realized I have not given
                      you or the readers of this site my name. It is, Ben, and I live in
                      Western Canada, and the U.S..I am interested in the origin of the so-
                      called Indo-European languages. Are you in Germany? If so, what part?

                      > Ben

                      Hi Ben,

                      I am German, from northern Germany (Lower Saxony), but I am living in
                      London with my family at the moment.

                      cheers