Ostrogothic Graves at Globasnitz/Kaernten

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002
      I have reported about the excavations of an Ostrogothic cemetary at
      Globasnitz in Kaernten before. Here is another link to a recent
      newspaper article.

      http://druck.kleinezeitung.at/kaernten/ARTIKEL?whichone=1225882

      The article is in German, so here a short summary:

      The recently excavated grave of a young Gothic warrior shows that he
      had died from a head injury. Also, his skull had been artificially
      deformed (elongated) during childhood. The Goths had adopted this
      practice from Huns, Alans and Sarmatians. In the 170 graves, that are
      excavated so far, 3 men and 1 woman have been found with artificial
      skull deformation. The text states that this is not enough to
      constitute a 'fashion'. Thus, other reasons like chamanism may have
      let people to persue this practice.

      The archaeologists also uncovered the oulines of Gothic leather
      shoes, from a grave where the shoes have been placed next to the dead
      body.

      cheers,