[gothic-l] Re: (H)eruli

  • Tore Gannholm
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
      Hi!
      Have you read
      Guns, Germs and Steel
      The Fates of Human Societies
      Jared Diamond

      Sometimes the conqueror adopts the customs, religion and language (or
      part of it) from the conquered people. Sometimes it is the other way
      round.

      The name Svear is not used used until later. In Beowulf they are
      called Scylfinga. The name Svear is not used yet. We are not even
      sure they called themselves Heruls. It could be the Romans that
      called them Heruls?!

      Grobin is close to Libau in Latvija and Apoule is a little further inland.

      Elibing or Elblag is east of Gdansk in Poland.

      Tore