Re: (H)eruli

  • hrafnsnest
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23 12:16 PM
      Hail Tore!
      I just left your site, great info., and I am not in disagreement with
      your conclusions. But a question, I know that the names of tribes
      can sometimes get garbled by the medievalist records keeper,
      f.ex., "East Goth and West Goth" became "Goth and Magoth" from the
      biblical "Gog and Magog". That said, if the Romans are calling a
      particular people "the (H)eruli", then who is calling the Svear "the
      Svear"?
      And, in your opinion, how do the 1st person "ek erilaR" runestones,
      which appear during the same time period, fit into the puzzle, after
      all, they don't say "ek Suear"?
      Finally, where is Grobin, Apuole and Elbing?
      Odhvaknir
    • Tore Gannholm
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23 2:09 PM
        Hi!
        Have you read
        Guns, Germs and Steel
        The Fates of Human Societies
        Jared Diamond

        Sometimes the conqueror adopts the customs, religion and language (or
        part of it) from the conquered people. Sometimes it is the other way
        round.

        The name Svear is not used used until later. In Beowulf they are
        called Scylfinga. The name Svear is not used yet. We are not even
        sure they called themselves Heruls. It could be the Romans that
        called them Heruls?!

        Grobin is close to Libau in Latvija and Apoule is a little further inland.

        Elibing or Elblag is east of Gdansk in Poland.

        Tore