[gothic-l] Re: (H)eruli

  • Tore Gannholm
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
      Hi!
      Have you read my conclusions on
      http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/parla_/svear/default.htm

      Tore

      --
    • hrafnsnest
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
        Hail Tore!
        I just left your site, great info., and I am not in disagreement with
        your conclusions. But a question, I know that the names of tribes
        can sometimes get garbled by the medievalist records keeper,
        f.ex., "East Goth and West Goth" became "Goth and Magoth" from the
        biblical "Gog and Magog". That said, if the Romans are calling a
        particular people "the (H)eruli", then who is calling the Svear "the
        Svear"?
        And, in your opinion, how do the 1st person "ek erilaR" runestones,
        which appear during the same time period, fit into the puzzle, after
        all, they don't say "ek Suear"?
        Finally, where is Grobin, Apuole and Elbing?
        Odhvaknir
      • Tore Gannholm
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
          Hi!
          Have you read
          Guns, Germs and Steel
          The Fates of Human Societies
          Jared Diamond

          Sometimes the conqueror adopts the customs, religion and language (or
          part of it) from the conquered people. Sometimes it is the other way
          round.

          The name Svear is not used used until later. In Beowulf they are
          called Scylfinga. The name Svear is not used yet. We are not even
          sure they called themselves Heruls. It could be the Romans that
          called them Heruls?!

          Grobin is close to Libau in Latvija and Apoule is a little further inland.

          Elibing or Elblag is east of Gdansk in Poland.

          Tore