Re: (H)eruli

  • hrafnsnest
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
      Hail Tore!
      My apologies. I mistook "..British isles - Island.", for Iceland.
      What type of things are they finding at these sites that would
      indicate they were (H)eruli?
      Odhvaknir

      > I never indicated that the Heruls moved to Iceland. This is
      something
      > that Einar Birgisson has brought up. You have to ask him for his
      > sources.
      >
      > I have only stated that there is an immigration of a ruling class
      > the Lake Mälar area beginning 6th century. Later that century the
      > rulers of the Lake Mälar area together with the Gotlanders
      > established colonies on the East coast of the Baltic. Excavations
      in
      > Grobin, Apuole and Elbing.
      > In the 9th century they extended their travels to the Russian
      rivers
      > and we find large Scandinavian gravefields.
      >
      > Tore
      > --
    • Tore Gannholm
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
        Hi!
        Have you read my conclusions on
        http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/parla_/svear/default.htm

        Tore

        --
      • hrafnsnest
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
          Hail Tore!
          I just left your site, great info., and I am not in disagreement with
          your conclusions. But a question, I know that the names of tribes
          can sometimes get garbled by the medievalist records keeper,
          f.ex., "East Goth and West Goth" became "Goth and Magoth" from the
          biblical "Gog and Magog". That said, if the Romans are calling a
          particular people "the (H)eruli", then who is calling the Svear "the
          Svear"?
          And, in your opinion, how do the 1st person "ek erilaR" runestones,
          which appear during the same time period, fit into the puzzle, after
          all, they don't say "ek Suear"?
          Finally, where is Grobin, Apuole and Elbing?
          Odhvaknir
        • Tore Gannholm
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 23, 2002
            Hi!
            Have you read
            Guns, Germs and Steel
            The Fates of Human Societies
            Jared Diamond

            Sometimes the conqueror adopts the customs, religion and language (or
            part of it) from the conquered people. Sometimes it is the other way
            round.

            The name Svear is not used used until later. In Beowulf they are
            called Scylfinga. The name Svear is not used yet. We are not even
            sure they called themselves Heruls. It could be the Romans that
            called them Heruls?!

            Grobin is close to Libau in Latvija and Apoule is a little further inland.

            Elibing or Elblag is east of Gdansk in Poland.

            Tore