Gothic Kingdoms in the 4th century

  • Oskar Andersson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2002
      Listmembers,

      I have stumbled across this line in Peter Heather's valuable account of Gothic history - "The Goths."

      There is a quote that I am quite uncertain about, and I am looking for help to trace the ideas and sources behind it:

      Peter Heather
      The Goths p. 97:

      "The Gothic world of the fourth century was divided into perhaps as many as six or more separate kingdoms."

      I assume Heather is making a statement about Gothic kingdoms, although he might very well be adressing the question of kingdoms maintained by other tribes (Sarmatians, Taifali, etc.). At any rate, I wanna know what underlies this statement, and what makes Heather contribute this very interesting question - compared to the old one that presented two major power centres to wit that of the Vesi-Tervingi and that of the Greuthungi-Ostrogoths in the region.

      Comments?

      With thanks,
      Oskar Andersson