Re: Goths,

    Message 1 of 7 , May 28 12:33 AM
      --- In gothic-l@y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b@t...> wrote:
      > Dear listmembers,
      >
      > It is important to remember that the question of the origin
      > of the Goths is not solved and is the matter of extensive
      > debate, on this list and elsewhere. It is therefore important
      > to note that some of the German language material produced
      > (I am excepting Peter Arens) should be read with great
      > caution. For those who do not read German the book below
      > is providing some information of interest.

      A good recent book on the subject is:

      The visigoths from the migration period to the seventh century. an
      ethnographic perspective. edited by Peter Heather
      Studies in historical archaeoethnology. vol. 4
      Woodbridge. Boydell Press. 1999

      In the first contribution, the participants of the symposium on which
      the book is based discuss the question of the origin of the Goths.
      Once again, none of them believed that the old theory of a
      Scandinavian homeland can be supported anymore. Especially, if you
      read the recent books, by Heather, Todd, and Pohl, it is clear that
      the question is not as 'unresolved' as some may want it to see, the
      evidence is already plentiful.

      There is alo no need to read this modern literature with caution
      (unless the author is a hobby historian and journalist like Peter
      Arens, or course).

      Dirk
    • Bertil Haggman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31 6:59 AM
        Thank you, Ingemar, for your latest contribution.

        Below are a few books to balance off Walter Pohl (who is
        he, BTW).

        Bell-Fialkoff, A., _The Role of Migration in the History of
        the Eurasian Steppe_, London: Macmillan, 2000.

        Findeisen, Joerg-Peter, _Schweden - Von den Anfaengen bis zur
        Gegenwart_, Regensburg: Verlag Friedrich Pustet, 1998.

        Hermodsson, Lars, _Goterna - ett krigafolk och dess bibel_ ,
        Stockholm, Atlantis, 1993.

        Nordgren, I., Goterkaellan - om goterna i Norden och paa
        kontinenten_, Skara: Vaestergoetlands museums skriftserie nr
        30, 2000.

        Rodin, L. - Lindblom, V. - Klang, K., _Gudatraed och vaestgoetska
        skottkungar - Sveriges bysantiska arv_, Goeteborg: Tre boecker,
        1994.

        _Schaetze der Ostgoten_, Stuttgart: Theiss, 1995.

        _Studia Gotica - Die eisenzeitlichen Verbindungen zwischen Schweden
        und Suedosteuropa - Vortraege beim Gotensymposion im Statens
        Historiska Museum_, Stockholm 1970.

        Tacitus, _Germania_, (with introduction and commentary by J.B. Rives),
        Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1999.

        Gothically

        Bertil