[gothic-l] No Subject

  • Le Bateman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 12, 1999
      Hails Jah.

      I found this website and I thought it might be of interest to someone. Le
    • Le Bateman
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 12, 1999
        This is another website which is a continuation of the other one just sent. Le

      • jdm314@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 10, 1999
          I've given a week, and nothing has happened. Well, goþ ist tandjan
          lukarn ainata þau þata riqiza fraqiþan, so I've prepared the following
          list of lines from annoying mega-popular flash-in-the-pan songs that
          make you cringe, the idea being that either they will in and of
          themselves stimulate conversation or, failing that, the implicite
          threat that I may post MORE OF THE SAME might incite you to converse :P

          Ana, ina, us! si libith tho libain wodon!

          Jabai wileis wisan liufs mis, skalt thu faurthis wisan frijonds!

          Andanem du bauan bi Jera-Lagau-Iggwa-Gibai (Juggalaudo Xristiano
          Gajukei? JLXG)

          Ik im Barbara-mawi, bauandei Barbara-aiwa

          Witho mik, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu,
          Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu!

          Ni drobnais, fagino

          Mik kaupati, aftra walis!

          Allai mannans, jai, withoth leika, jai, allai mannans withoth leika
          waila.

          Gib tho leika theina: tho faheth, Makarena. Heeeeeeej Makarena. Aj!

          So give it your best shot at translation, and/or guessing! Extra bonus
          points if you can name the artist or group that sang the song... in
          Gothic.
          I'll post translations and answers sometime soon.

          -JDM
        • jdm314@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 17, 1999
            Well this last week went much better than the previous one. Thank you!
            Here are the translations and sources of last week's annoying gothic
            quotes.

            > Ana, ina, us! si libith tho libain wodon!

            "Upside, inside out! She's livin' la vida loca!"

            -Reikahards Marteinus

            > Jabai wileis wisan liufs mis, skalt thu faurthis wisan frijonds!

            "If you wannabe my lover, first you gotta be my friend!"

            -Thos Aromateigons Mawjos (special bonus goes to Iosefus Paljarula for
            figuring that one out)

            > Andanem du bauan bi Jera-Lagau-Iggwa-Gibai (Juggalaudo Xristiano
            > Gajukei? JLXG)

            Bah, the parenthetical notes were supposed to be in THIS post, but I
            accidentally left them in the fisr posting. Well, anyway, it says "It's
            fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A"

            -Thai Thaurpiskans Mannans [or maybe just Thai Thaurparjos?]

            > Ik im Barbara-mawi, bauandei Barbara-aiwa

            "I'm a Barbie-Girl, living in a Barbie-World"

            -Ahva

            > Witho mik, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu,
            > Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu,
            Amadaiu!

            "Rock me Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus,
            Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus"

            -Falka

            > Ni drobnais, fagino

            "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

            -Hrothabairhts (McFerrin)

            > Mik kaupati, aftra walis!

            "Hit me baby one more time!"

            -Britania Sparis (or something)

            > Allai mannans, jai, withoth leika, jai, allai mannans withoth leika
            > waila.

            "Everybody, yeah, rock your body, yeah, every body rock your body right"

            -Backstreet Boys (which I leave in english because I can't think of a
            good idiomatic way to say "backstreet")

            > Gib tho leika theina: tho faheth, Makarena. Heeeeeeej Makarena. Aj!

            Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena, hey Macarena, ¡ay!

            -Thai this Ahwos

            IUSTEINUS
          • fballard
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 21, 1999
              Please take me off your list
            • got@yesbox.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 25, 1999
                jdm31-@... wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1113
                > Well this last week went much better than the previous one. Thank you!
                > Here are the translations and sources of last week's annoying gothic
                > quotes.
                >
                > > Ana, ina, us! si libith tho libain wodon!
                >
                > "Upside, inside out! She's livin' la vida loca!"
                >
                > -Reikahards Marteinus

                Or: Jupja, Ina, Uta!?(I have a slight memory that outside was "uta",
                but I am probably wrong) "Wodon" is maybe the closest one can get, but
                otherwise I remember that "Unwod", on a runic medal(brakteat)was
                translated "unangry". But I guess it could have that meaning,"crazy",
                in gothic.

                > > Jabai wileis wisan liufs mis, skalt thu faurthis wisan frijonds!
                >
                > "If you wannabe my lover, first you gotta be my friend!"
                >
                > -Thos Aromateigons Mawjos (special bonus goes to Iosefus Paljarula for
                > figuring that one out)
                >

                > > Andanem du bauan bi Jera-Lagau-Iggwa-Gibai (Juggalaudo Xristiano
                > > Gajukei? JLXG)
                >
                > Bah, the parenthetical notes were supposed to be in THIS post, but I
                > accidentally left them in the fisr posting. Well, anyway, it says
                "It's
                > fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A"
                >
                > -Thai Thaurpiskans Mannans [or maybe just Thai Thaurparjos?]
                >

                > > Ik im Barbara-mawi, bauandei Barbara-aiwa
                >

                > "I'm a Barbie-Girl, living in a Barbie-World"
                >
                > -Ahva
                >

                > > Witho mik, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu,
                > > Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu, Amadaiu,
                > Amadaiu!
                >
                > "Rock me Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus,
                Amadeus,
                > Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus, Amadeus"
                >
                > -Falka
                >

                > > Ni drobnais, fagino
                >
                > "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
                >
                > -Hrothabairhts (McFerrin)
                >

                > > Mik kaupati, aftra walis!
                >
                > "Hit me baby one more time!"
                >
                > -Britania Sparis (or something)
                >

                > > Allai mannans, jai, withoth leika, jai, allai mannans withoth leika
                > > waila.
                >
                > "Everybody, yeah, rock your body, yeah, every body rock your body
                right"

                > -Backstreet Boys (which I leave in english because I can't think of a
                > good idiomatic way to say "backstreet")
                >

                > > Gib tho leika theina: tho faheth, Makarena. Heeeeeeej Makarena. Aj!
                >
                > Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena, hey Macarena, ¡ay!
                >
                > -Thai this Ahwos
                >

                > IUSTEINUS

              • gnsummers
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 1999
                  I am brand new to this group and don't currently don't know of any resources on Gothic. Where can books etc. be bought? My background up to now has been in Scottish Gaelic and Modern European languages. I live in the New York area.

                  Thanks.
                • Keth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 21, 2000
                    From: <got@...>

                    Hails Gutwulfs!

                    >I just wanted to guide you through a transmission with "gutamåul"
                    >gotlandic.0

                    >(left)over in some way, and the old ones ate them with a spoon

                    > "yver(often yvar) pa nage veis, u di gamle at dem(oldest daim) mä skaid"
                    Te åvers på någe vis, å di gamle åt dei me skei.

                    Here I gave as example how it is pronounced in local Rogaland
                    dialect. From this one could equally well say that the Goths
                    lived in Rogaland. (Funny that the "Rugi" shared Italy with the Goths.)
                    But the similarity probably has different reasons, though it is true
                    that "Gaute" is a very old PN in Rogaland. For example, the many
                    rich Viking Age houses that were recently excavated at "Gausel"
                    (> gaute-sel?) attest that the first settler there had that name.
                    But I see all this merely as example that everything tends to
                    "spread out" (diffusion). The archaeologists said that this was
                    probably the place that Olav Kvite came from - the Viking who
                    ruled in Ireland. And later the family also settled in Iceland.

                    Keth
                  • got@yesbox.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 23, 2000
                      "keth" <ket-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1745

> [...]

                      Hails, Keth!
                      With this radiotransmission I just wanted to point to some words or
                      pronounciation of words that are similar in both languages. The dialect
                      in Rogaland has common features with "gutniske", because they both have
                      strong roots also to old norse. Some features in gotlandic are quite
                      unic in Scandinavia and is a proof to their connection and maybe also
                      relation with goths far back in time.

                      See you!

                      Gutwulfs

                      > Here I gave as example how it is pronounced in local Rogaland
                      > dialect. From this one could equally well say that the Goths
                      > lived in Rogaland. (Funny that the "Rugi" shared Italy with the
                      Goths.)
                      > But the similarity probably has different reasons, though it is true
                      > that "Gaute" is a very old PN in Rogaland. For example, the many
                      > rich Viking Age houses that were recently excavated at "Gausel"
                      > (> gaute-sel?) attest that the first settler there had that name.
                      > But I see all this merely as example that everything tends to
                      > "spread out" (diffusion). The archaeologists said that this was
                      > probably the place that Olav Kvite came from - the Viking who
                      > ruled in Ireland. And later the family also settled in Iceland.
                      >
                      > Keth

                    • Keth
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 23, 2000
                        >"keth" <ket-@...> wrote:
                        >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1745

                        Hails Gutwulfs!

                        You are right! The languages all converge as you go back in time.
                        Gothic is an important tool for the reading of runic
                        inscriptions in the elder Futhark. All present Nordic dialects
                        are relatives of each other. I realize that the pre-war Germans
                        classified Gothic [the language proper] as "Ost-germanisch".
                        That division has stood until this day -- I think. But there is a
                        problem, because we do not have too many sources from the same
                        chronological level, of the Nordic language, except for the few
                        telegram style runic inscriptions. Therefore, it is not obvious
                        that "Nordic" should form a separate language division from early
                        (pre Ulfilas) Gothic.

                        I suppose it all depends on your theoretical model:
                        If you say the Goths came from Scandinavia, then their language
                        cannot have been all that different from the language spoken
                        in the rest of Scandinavia at the time. If you say they didn't,
                        you still have to explain why the languages are so similar.
                        It all boils down to where one thinks "Germanic" arose as
                        a language. The Germans probably say it must have been in
                        Germany or Poland. The Swedes say it must have been in Sweden
                        (differences of opinion arising all according to where you
                        live in Sweden). The Norwegians probably say everything arose
                        in Norway, because that is the place that first became inhabitable
                        after the Ice Age.

                        au revoir!

                        Keth