Goths and Christianity

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2002
      I think it should be about right to say that the Ostrogoths converted
      to Arian Christianity somtime during the early part of the 5th
      century. The Goths had been exposed to Christianity sicne the mid-3rd
      century when Christian prisoners reportedly spread Christianity among
      the Goths. Conversion around this time is also indicated by the Codis
      Gothani, which states that the Gepids became Arian Christians in the
      middle of the 5th century because of Gothic influence. Also, I think
      Theoderic is reported to have been born to Christian parents.

      However, as far as I know there are no church buildings of that
      period in the Gothic/Gepidic settlement territories. In fact, there
      are hardly any Gothic or Gepidic settlements known in that timeframe
      (mid-5th century). I wonder why that is. Could this be simply the
      result of insufficient research? or is that the result of a nomadic
      or semi-nomadic life-style. Would the early Christian Goths perhaps
      worshiped in Roman churches or built their own wooden churches?
      Anyone up for an answer?

      thanks
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2002
        The news about the Hemmaberg seems to answer some of my questions
        below. Apparently on the Hemmaberg was a Catholic church for the
        Roman Catholic population and an Arian church for the Goths.

        http://www.suedkaernten.at/Deutsch/galerien/globasnitz.htm

        The following site of the regional museum also reports about the role
        of the Goths in that area, mentionig an Ostrogothic fortress at the
        Duel near Feistritz at the Drau river.

        http://www.landesmuseum-ktn.at/arch%E4ologie.htm

        cheers,
        Dirk