Re: Muzeul National de Istorie a Romaniei and Gothic Finds

  • fericzobor
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2002
      Dear Bertil,

      during the war, the whole national treasure of Romania was brought to
      the Soviet Union, including the whole Gothic hoard of Pietroasa.
      After the war, only a part of the treasure was returned to Romania,
      including a part (less than 1/2) of the Gothic artefacts.
      After 1990, the return of the rest of the national treasure to
      Romania is an important and constant issue of every discution or
      negotiation with Moscow. Unfortunately, until now, Russia doesn't
      seem willing to return it.

      Francisc

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2002
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "fericzobor" <fericzobor@y...> wrote:
        > Dear Bertil,
        >
        > during the war, the whole national treasure of Romania was brought
        > the Soviet Union, including the whole Gothic hoard of Pietroasa.
        > After the war, only a part of the treasure was returned to Romania,
        > including a part (less than 1/2) of the Gothic artefacts.
        > After 1990, the return of the rest of the national treasure to
        > Romania is an important and constant issue of every discution or
        > negotiation with Moscow. Unfortunately, until now, Russia doesn't
        > seem willing to return it.
        >
        > Francisc

        Dear Francisc,

        the Russian Duma has declared most of these 'war-booty'
        items 'treasures of the Russian people' making it extremely difficult
        (close to impossible) for presidents or other members of the
        executive to make compromises in that matter. Germany has been able
        to get some items back, but at a price. A few weeks ago Germany
        cancelled USD 6.7 billion in Soviet era debt. In return the Russian
        government and parliament is looking somewhat more favourable upon
        the return of art treasures to Germany. Since Romania will likely not
        have such a bargaining-chip, the chances of returning these items are
        probably slim.

        Than again art treasures have always been robbed during wars. Where
        do we draw the line? WWII, WWI, the 30-Years War? The most important
        thing is that the current owner takes good care of it, makes it
        available to researchers and the public and is able to protect it
        from theft and damage.

        cheers,