[gothic-l] Re: Asatru

  • etsasse@acsu.buffalo.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 1999
      <370ca62e.3afb2ce-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=439

      Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I was enjoying myself
      looking through the archives. I hope it isn't distasteful to do this in
      the group's opinion?

      > > I have been in contact with several
      > > which also claim to worship the Gods of the Goths.
      >
      > Which god is that? ;->

      It's interesting to note that one of the many different Icelandic
      names for Odinn is "Gauti", which is identical to the Icelandic word
      for Goth. In the Icelandic Etymological Dictionary (Islensk
      Ordhsifjabok published by the University of Iceland)it mentions in the
      entry for this word that "Odinn was called Gauti because he was
      worshipped by the Goths", which seems like an overly simplistic
      explanation to me. Also too, Gauti is still used as a given name in
      Iceland, though not too commonly, and the only person I knew who had
      that name was well aware that it signified Odinn, yet didn't seem to
      care to notice or remark that it also meant Goth which is a more
      obvious connection
      in the language.
    • jdm314@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 1999
        jdm31-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=624
        > <370ca62e.3afb2ce-@...> wrote:
        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=439
        >
        > Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I was enjoying myself
        > looking through the archives. I hope it isn't distasteful to do this
        in
        > the group's opinion?

        OK, I'm even sorrier, as I haven't READ the old thread. I've only read
        a few weeks back, so please forgive me and keep your insults tame if
        this stuff has already been covered.
        A while back I looked up the proto-germanic forms of a number of
        Germanic deities, and other terms from Norse mythology, then tried to
        plug in the soundchange laws and produce the Gothic forms of the names.
        Here's what I got:

        "Norse" PGmc Gth.
        Odin- *Wôdenaz, Wôdonaz *Wôdins, Wôduns
        Frigga- *Frijjô *Friddja
        Thor- *Þunaraz *Þunars (Þeihvô?)
        Baldur- *Balduz? *Baldus?
        Loki- *Lugôn *Lug/a -ins
        Tyr- *Tîwaz *Teiws
        Norn- *Nor- [*Nornaz? *Nornô?] *Naurns? *Naurna?
        Valkyrie-*Walakuzjô, Walakurjô *Walakuzja
        Valhalla- *Walahallô *Walahalla
        Hel- *Haljô Halja
        Æsir- *Ansuz (sing) Ansus
        Njörd- *Nerþuz *Náirþus
        Freya- *Frôwo
        Frey- *Frôwaz? *Fraus? (attested fráuja presupposes *frôw-ôn)

        So what do you people think? Got corrections, comments, criticisms?
        Additions?

        Ïusteinus