Names of Amals Y Balths

  • Nancy Montoya Cohen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
      Hails!!!

      Answer plase me.

      Is Balder ancestry of Balthi´s family.

      Is Theodorid son of ALaric?.

      Is Araric = Ariaric.

      Is Alica = Alikak.

      Who is Badengaud?.

      Who is Rotesteus?.

      Who is Ariaric's father?.

      Who is Athanaric´s father?.

      Who is Alaric´s father?

      Who ruling tha goths between 213 - 350

      Thanks You

    • keth@online.no
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
        Hi Mathew,
        I suppose language discussions are a bit above
        most people's level of discourse. It seems so
        much easier to discuss about battle formations
        and armour; topics where everybody can have an
        opinion.

        As far as I am concerned, I try to look up language
        questions in the most authoritative books I can find.
        But very often the answers I find there presupposes
        basic knowledge, that I yet have to acquire. It was better
        some years ago, when there were a lot of language persons
        contributing to the list.

        The list you put up below is perhaps a bit long
        to treat all the details in a single post. For example
        "Gapt" I recall we discussed last summer, but the conclusion
        was far from clear. Some said the "p" was a form of "f",
        which was again closely related to "v" and "u".
        Others related it to "Raft" which was associated with
        a wooden beam or a "rafter" in English, hence an example
        where the "f" was not merely a Greek spelling convention,
        but was related to the meaning.

        I think it was Grimm in his "Geschichte der deutschen Sprache"
        (Leipzig 1880), who launched the hypothesis that Gapt = Gauts;
        and even though Mullenhoff objected to this in his Jordanis
        comments, it still makes sense in terms of the late Greek
        failure to distinguish between alpha-upsilon and alpha-phi.

        It should be noted, however, that standard Latin transcription
        of Greek phi is 'ph' and 'f', but usually not 'p'. The latter
        is more commonly associated with Greek pi, which the Greeks did
        not confuse with phi.

        Hulmul may perhaps be compared with *Humli*, which is the
        name Saxo gives to the ancestor of the Danish kings.

        For "Amal" Cassiodor writes "Hamalus".
        Amal is supposedly related to ON "ama" = to bother, or
        to pester somebody. Could there be a relationship to
        Amlóði = Hamlet ?

        Isarnis is also written Hisarnis. The H is called "prothetic".

        Fastida is thought to relate to the Gothic verb "fastan".

        Well, I'll post this now; lest it grow too long.

        Best regards
        Keth

      • hrafnsnest
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
          Hail Nancy
          Your question -
          > Is Balder ancestry of Balthi´s family(?)

          No, however, the two words, Balthi and Balder, are etymologically
          related. They are both derived from the same Indo-European root>
          bhel* > "to blow, or swell". In the suffixed Germanic form you could
          derive > balthaz*, which in Old English is > bald, and Old High
          German > bald, all of which mean > bold, as in daring.

          It is conjectured that in ancient times, certain emotive or mental
          qualities may have become deified or perhaps "attached" to certain
          people or families, in which case, you could conceive of Balthi
          as "the bold one".
          Sael,
          Jeff