LANG: Names of Amals & Associated Persons

  • M. Carver
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
      I've forgotten which message contained the attempts at
      translating the latinized gothic names in the amalic genealogy,
      if there ever was one. The yahoogroups archive search did not
      avail much. I'd be interested in seeing your conclusions in this matter.

      I include my own guesses & translation:

      Gapt = ? Gaut
      Hulmul = Hulmuls "Holm-like", Hulmalhs "Holm-temple", Hilmuls "Helmet"
      Amal = Amals "Brave"
      Isarnis = Eisarneins "Made of Iron"
      Ostrogotha = Austraguta "Shining-Goth"
      Fastida = Gpc. Fastitha ?"Firmness, Protection"
      Hunuil = Huniwiljis or Huniwilja "Hun-desire" (though Go. 'huns'
      "[young] bear")
      Athal = Athals "Noble of Lineage"
      Achiulf, = Agiwulfs "Sword-Wolf" or "Terror-Wolf", Ahawulfs
      "Mindful-Wolf", Agilawulfs "Boar-Wolf"
      Oduulf = Audawulfs "Fortune-Wolf"
      Ermanaric = Airmanar[e]iks "Great Ruler"
      Ediulf = Aidawulfs "Fire-Wolf", Ai?awulfs "Oath-Wolf", Hai?iwulfs
      "Heath-Wolf"
      Ansila = Ansula "Little-God" (or -Demon or -Spirit), Ansila
      "Little-Plank"
      Vultuulf = Wulthuwulfs "Glory-Wolf"
      Sunhild = Sunihilds, -hildis "Truth-battle, Sonahilds "Atoning-Battle"
      Swanahilds "Swan-Battle"
      Valaravans = Walahrafns "War-Raven" or "Raven of the Slain", Walabrands
      "Battle-Sword" or "-Fire"
      Vidimer = Weidamers "Wide-Famous" (or -merei "-Fame")
      Vinitharius = Winithharja? "Wend-Warrior"
      Vandalarius = Wandalharja? "Vandal-Warrior"
      Boz
      Balamber
      Thorismund = Thaurismunds "Giant-Ward"
      Videricus = Weidar[e]iks "Wide-Ruler"
      Valdamerca = Waldamarka "Rule-Sign" or "Rule-March"
      Valamir = Walamers "War-Famed"
      Thiudimir = Thiudamers "Folk-Famed"
      Theoderic = Thiudar[e]iks "Folk-Ruler"
      Odoacer = Audawakrs "Fortune-Watchful" or "Fortune-Brave"
      Amalafrida = Amalafrith[?w]a (fem.) Brave-Peace (prob. understood as
      Amal-Reconciliation)
      Amalaberga = Amalabairga "Brave-Shelter" or "Amal-Preservation"
      Audoin = Audawins "Fortune-Friend"
      Alboin = Albawins "Elf-Friend"
      Amalasuintha = Amalaswintha (fem.) "Brave-strong" or "Amal-strong"
      Athalaric = Athalar[e]iks "Noble Ruler"
      Thiudimund = Thiudamunds "Folk-Ward"
      Theodgotha = Thiudaguta "Folk-Goth"
      Amalaric = Amalar[e]iks "Brave-Ruler" or "Amal-Ruler"
      Aidoingus = ? Aidawiggs "Fire-?", Haidu-Iggws ? "Ing of Custom" ?
      Ai?a-Iggws "Ing of Oath"
      Tuluin, = Tulguwins "Firm-Friend"
      Theodehad = Thiudahathus "Folk-Struggle"
      Thiudegisklos = ? Thiudageisls "Folk-Hostage" or "Folk-?Spear"
      Thiudinanda = Thiudanantha (fem.) "Folk-strong"
      Gesimund = Gaisamunds or Geisamunds "Spear-Ward"
      Giso = ? Geiso- "Spear-"
      Gunthigis = Guntheigs "Warlike", Gunthigeis "War-Spear"
      Hunimund = Hunimunds "Hun-Ward" or "Bear-Protection"
      Andela = Anthila "Little-Ghost" or "Little-End", Handila "Little-Hand"
      Andagis = Anthageis "End-Spear" (= ? "Spear-point"), Handugei "Wise One"

      Eutharic = Iuthareiks "Descendent-Ruler", Audareiks "Fortune-Ruler"
      Beremund = Baira- or Beramunds "Bear-Ward"
      Sidimund = Sidumunds "Custom-Ward"
      Sigeric = Sigu- or Sigisreiks "Victory-Ruler"
    • Nancy Montoya Cohen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
        Hails!!!

        Answer plase me.

        Is Balder ancestry of Balthi´s family.

        Is Theodorid son of ALaric?.

        Is Araric = Ariaric.

        Is Alica = Alikak.

        Who is Badengaud?.

        Who is Rotesteus?.

        Who is Ariaric's father?.

        Who is Athanaric´s father?.

        Who is Alaric´s father?

        Who ruling tha goths between 213 - 350

        Thanks You

      • keth@online.no
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
          Hi Mathew,
          I suppose language discussions are a bit above
          most people's level of discourse. It seems so
          much easier to discuss about battle formations
          and armour; topics where everybody can have an
          opinion.

          As far as I am concerned, I try to look up language
          questions in the most authoritative books I can find.
          But very often the answers I find there presupposes
          basic knowledge, that I yet have to acquire. It was better
          some years ago, when there were a lot of language persons
          contributing to the list.

          The list you put up below is perhaps a bit long
          to treat all the details in a single post. For example
          "Gapt" I recall we discussed last summer, but the conclusion
          was far from clear. Some said the "p" was a form of "f",
          which was again closely related to "v" and "u".
          Others related it to "Raft" which was associated with
          a wooden beam or a "rafter" in English, hence an example
          where the "f" was not merely a Greek spelling convention,
          but was related to the meaning.

          I think it was Grimm in his "Geschichte der deutschen Sprache"
          (Leipzig 1880), who launched the hypothesis that Gapt = Gauts;
          and even though Mullenhoff objected to this in his Jordanis
          comments, it still makes sense in terms of the late Greek
          failure to distinguish between alpha-upsilon and alpha-phi.

          It should be noted, however, that standard Latin transcription
          of Greek phi is 'ph' and 'f', but usually not 'p'. The latter
          is more commonly associated with Greek pi, which the Greeks did
          not confuse with phi.

          Hulmul may perhaps be compared with *Humli*, which is the
          name Saxo gives to the ancestor of the Danish kings.

          For "Amal" Cassiodor writes "Hamalus".
          Amal is supposedly related to ON "ama" = to bother, or
          to pester somebody. Could there be a relationship to
          Amlóði = Hamlet ?

          Isarnis is also written Hisarnis. The H is called "prothetic".

          Fastida is thought to relate to the Gothic verb "fastan".

          Well, I'll post this now; lest it grow too long.

          Best regards
          Keth

        • hrafnsnest
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
            Hail Nancy
            Your question -
            > Is Balder ancestry of Balthi´s family(?)

            No, however, the two words, Balthi and Balder, are etymologically
            related. They are both derived from the same Indo-European root>
            bhel* > "to blow, or swell". In the suffixed Germanic form you could
            derive > balthaz*, which in Old English is > bald, and Old High
            German > bald, all of which mean > bold, as in daring.

            It is conjectured that in ancient times, certain emotive or mental
            qualities may have become deified or perhaps "attached" to certain
            people or families, in which case, you could conceive of Balthi
            as "the bold one".
            Sael,
            Jeff