Re: [gothic-l] IRON PLOUGHS

  • keth@online.no
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
      Bertil, In Norway they say that it is important to
      distinguish between "plog" and "ard".

      The "ard" goes back to prehistoric times, and is still
      used because it works better than the "plog" in many
      applications. Cf. Latin "aratrum".

      In Denmark and Sweden the "ard" is known from several
      prehistoric finds. Also from the Bronze Age cliff art
      in Tanum. In Hedmark it is still used for potato ackers.
      It is run criss cross several times.

      In the Mediterranean world a plow - I assume it is the "ard"
      - has been described by Hesiod, Vergil and others. Also known
      from Terra Cotta representations and on vases and coins.
      There are numerous examples of metal point plow finds.
      You can read about it in H.Behlen: "Der Pflug und das Pflugen
      bei den Römern." (1904)

      you wrote:
      >Gothically
      >Bertil
      >Any examples of the Roman use of iron ploughs?

      Ardically
      Keth
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
        Hi Bertil,

        I do not know anything about Roman plows but I think Tim suggested there
        were. Concerning early Germanic ploughing I agree with Keth they used
        arders.
        Ploughically
        Ingemar

        Ingemar,