IRON PLOUGHS

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2002
      Hi,

      Concerning Iron ploughs used by Germanic peoples they were not in use
      before the agrar revolution in the feudal states of the Middle Ages, and
      that is long after the Gothic states were extinct. It is possible the
      Romans may have applied them also in the earlier Germania but that was
      not a Germanic habit.

      Kindly
      Ingemar
    • Bertil Haggman
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2002
        Ingemar,

        Any examples of the Roman use of iron ploughs?

        Gothically

        Bertil

      • keth@online.no
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
          Bertil, In Norway they say that it is important to
          distinguish between "plog" and "ard".

          The "ard" goes back to prehistoric times, and is still
          used because it works better than the "plog" in many
          applications. Cf. Latin "aratrum".

          In Denmark and Sweden the "ard" is known from several
          prehistoric finds. Also from the Bronze Age cliff art
          in Tanum. In Hedmark it is still used for potato ackers.
          It is run criss cross several times.

          In the Mediterranean world a plow - I assume it is the "ard"
          - has been described by Hesiod, Vergil and others. Also known
          from Terra Cotta representations and on vases and coins.
          There are numerous examples of metal point plow finds.
          You can read about it in H.Behlen: "Der Pflug und das Pflugen
          bei den Römern." (1904)

          you wrote:
          >Gothically
          >Bertil
          >Any examples of the Roman use of iron ploughs?

          Ardically
          Keth
        • Ingemar Nordgren
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
            Hi Bertil,

            I do not know anything about Roman plows but I think Tim suggested there
            were. Concerning early Germanic ploughing I agree with Keth they used
            arders.
            Ploughically
            Ingemar