[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Dictionary

  • Alex Loepp
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 1999
      Hi Robert,
      According to "A Gothic Etymological Dictionary" 'anaks' is a compound of
      'ana' (prep) + 'k' (as in ajukduths,ibuks) + 's' (comparative suffix). See
      the listing for A144 in the above cited work.
      "Gotisches Woerterbuch" by Koebler lists *akan (meaning 'drive' or 'pull')
      as a conjectured verb in Gothic, but does not relate it to 'anaks'
      Hope this helps!

      Alex Loepp