[gothic-l] Intro question.

  • etsasse@acsu.buffalo.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 1999
      This is my first post, and to make sure it works, I thought I'd post
      a quick little question instead of my bio.

      Recently I've read that Spanish "Catalan" is derived from a form of
      the word(s) 'Goth(i)land'. This would make sense to me given some of
      the history, but I usually don't automatically believe everything I
      see. If this is true, then do the Germanic components of Spanish names,
      i.e.
      Rodriguez <- Roderich-es(?) also come directly from Gothic influence?

      Also, if there is an interest in reviving Gothic in a modern,
      reconstructed form, wouldn't it be wise to first examine all the Gothic
      words that still exist in other languages (such as Russian 'xleb', does
      English have any?) and tackle them first to give it more of an
      immediate feel? Whose the commitee for creating neologisms by the way?
      I look forward to reading some simple messages in modern Gothic soon.
      -Eric