[gothic-l] Re: personal names

  • Raymond Uppelschoten
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
      There is also a book on germanic names, often mentioned in bibliographies:
      Henry Woolf, "The old Germanic principles of namegiving". Unfortunately I
      haven't read it and it has only one chapter on Goths. I know it is focussed
      on western europe. But the critics say it's great, so it might help, and
      there's probably a copy available in your local university library.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 1999
        > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
        > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
        > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
        > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
        > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
        > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
        >
        > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
        > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
        > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
        > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
        > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
        >
        > I'd welcome any suggestions.
        >
        > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
        > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
        > option first.)

        Here's another masochist who could do with the same information for much the
        same reason. I think we would need to be careful about Biblical names: I
        found a few facts out during general research into the 5th century that I
        fully intend to make use of:
        By the mid 5th century the Eastern church had banned the reading of the Old
        Testament.
        By the end of the 5th century the Western church had followed suit.
        This does not, of course, apply to the Goths who were Arians, but certainly
        as far as the Visigoths in Spain were concerned, they seemed to be very
        assiduous about using Germanic names (changing to Roman names if, as
        individuals, they converted to Catholicism)
        Furthermore, there seems to have been a split between Ostrogoths and
        Visigoths in one respect: the Ostrogoths (in particular, Theoderic or
        however you want to spell the name) were possibly the least antisemitic
        group around, and the Visigoths were the worst. So whereas Ostrogoths might
        conceivably use Biblical names, I very much doubt that Visigoths would.
        Actually, what I could really do with is Burgundian names. In general, I've
        been reduced to making lists of name-elements according to whether they can
        come first or second or stand alone, and selecting at random, but this isn't
        really satisfactory.