[gothic-l] Re: personal names

  • Priscilla de Paula
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
      Can you inform me if my name called Adelgicius have some ghotic or german
      basis. I have searched about this and untill now I have found a sure
      definition. Thanks. Adelgicius
      e-mail : lagos@...

      Neil Fulton wrote:

      > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
      > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
      > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
      > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
      > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
      > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
      >
      > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
      > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
      > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
      > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
      > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
      >
      > I'd welcome any suggestions.
      >
      > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
      > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
      > option first.)
      >
      > Neil

      > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
      > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
      >
      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
    • Alex Loepp
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
        I would suggest Appendix 3 to "Gotisches Woerterbuch" by Gerhard Koebler (EJ
        Brill, 1989.....ISBN 90-04-09128-9)......it has an extensive list of
        personal names in both East Germanic and Latinized form.

        > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
        > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
        > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
        > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
        > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
        > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
        >
        > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
        > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
        > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
        > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
        > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
        >
        > I'd welcome any suggestions.
        >
        > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
        > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
        > option first.)
        >
        > Neil

        > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
        > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l

      • Raymond Uppelschoten
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
          There is also a book on germanic names, often mentioned in bibliographies:
          Henry Woolf, "The old Germanic principles of namegiving". Unfortunately I
          haven't read it and it has only one chapter on Goths. I know it is focussed
          on western europe. But the critics say it's great, so it might help, and
          there's probably a copy available in your local university library.

          I would suggest Appendix 3 to "Gotisches Woerterbuch" by Gerhard Koebler (EJ
          Brill, 1989.....ISBN 90-04-09128-9)......it has an extensive list of
          personal names in both East Germanic and Latinized form.

          > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
          > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
          > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
          > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
          > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
          > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
          >
          > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
          > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
          > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
          > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
          > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
          >
          > I'd welcome any suggestions.
          >
          > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
          > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
          > option first.)
          >
          > Neil

          > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
          > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
          > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
          >

          > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l

          GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
          Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
          http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/615

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
        • Pamela E.M Maddison
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 1999
            > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
            > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
            > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
            > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
            > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
            > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
            >
            > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
            > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
            > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
            > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
            > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
            >
            > I'd welcome any suggestions.
            >
            > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
            > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
            > option first.)

            Here's another masochist who could do with the same information for much the
            same reason. I think we would need to be careful about Biblical names: I
            found a few facts out during general research into the 5th century that I
            fully intend to make use of:
            By the mid 5th century the Eastern church had banned the reading of the Old
            Testament.
            By the end of the 5th century the Western church had followed suit.
            This does not, of course, apply to the Goths who were Arians, but certainly
            as far as the Visigoths in Spain were concerned, they seemed to be very
            assiduous about using Germanic names (changing to Roman names if, as
            individuals, they converted to Catholicism)
            Furthermore, there seems to have been a split between Ostrogoths and
            Visigoths in one respect: the Ostrogoths (in particular, Theoderic or
            however you want to spell the name) were possibly the least antisemitic
            group around, and the Visigoths were the worst. So whereas Ostrogoths might
            conceivably use Biblical names, I very much doubt that Visigoths would.
            Actually, what I could really do with is Burgundian names. In general, I've
            been reduced to making lists of name-elements according to whether they can
            come first or second or stand alone, and selecting at random, but this isn't
            really satisfactory.