[gothic-l] personal names

  • Neil Fulton
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
      A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
      about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
      know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
      exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
      families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
      fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)

      I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
      at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
      the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
      of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
      names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.

      I'd welcome any suggestions.

      (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
      libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
      option first.)

      Neil
    • Priscilla de Paula
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
        Can you inform me if my name called Adelgicius have some ghotic or german
        basis. I have searched about this and untill now I have found a sure
        definition. Thanks. Adelgicius
        e-mail : lagos@...

        Neil Fulton wrote:

        > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
        > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
        > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
        > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
        > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
        > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
        >
        > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
        > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
        > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
        > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
        > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
        >
        > I'd welcome any suggestions.
        >
        > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
        > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
        > option first.)
        >
        > Neil

        > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
        > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
        >
        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
      • Alex Loepp
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
          I would suggest Appendix 3 to "Gotisches Woerterbuch" by Gerhard Koebler (EJ
          Brill, 1989.....ISBN 90-04-09128-9)......it has an extensive list of
          personal names in both East Germanic and Latinized form.

          > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
          > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
          > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
          > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
          > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
          > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
          >
          > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
          > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
          > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
          > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
          > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
          >
          > I'd welcome any suggestions.
          >
          > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
          > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
          > option first.)
          >
          > Neil

          > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
          > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
          > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
          >

          > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l

        • Raymond Uppelschoten
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
            There is also a book on germanic names, often mentioned in bibliographies:
            Henry Woolf, "The old Germanic principles of namegiving". Unfortunately I
            haven't read it and it has only one chapter on Goths. I know it is focussed
            on western europe. But the critics say it's great, so it might help, and
            there's probably a copy available in your local university library.

            I would suggest Appendix 3 to "Gotisches Woerterbuch" by Gerhard Koebler (EJ
            Brill, 1989.....ISBN 90-04-09128-9)......it has an extensive list of
            personal names in both East Germanic and Latinized form.

            > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
            > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
            > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
            > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
            > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
            > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
            >
            > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
            > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
            > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
            > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
            > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
            >
            > I'd welcome any suggestions.
            >
            > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
            > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
            > option first.)
            >
            > Neil

            > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
            > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
            > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
            >

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l

            GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
            Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
            http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/615

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
          • Pamela E.M Maddison
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15, 1999
              > A friend of mine asked me the other day for some information
              > about Gothic naming practices, and I realised I didn't really
              > know very much about the subject. She's apparently already
              > exhausted the possibilities of lists of kings and their
              > families, and was looking for other sources. (She writes semi-
              > fantasy/semi-historical novels, and needs names for characters.)
              >
              > I said I'd collect some Biblical names, but the more I looked
              > at them, the more strongly I felt that transliterations into
              > the Roman alphabet of tranliterations into the Gothic alphabet
              > of tranliterations into the Greek alphabet of originally Hebrew
              > names lacked a certain something authenticity-wise.
              >
              > I'd welcome any suggestions.
              >
              > (BTW, I live in Oxford, so I can get access to some heavyweight
              > libraries if I really have to, but I always look for an easier
              > option first.)

              Here's another masochist who could do with the same information for much the
              same reason. I think we would need to be careful about Biblical names: I
              found a few facts out during general research into the 5th century that I
              fully intend to make use of:
              By the mid 5th century the Eastern church had banned the reading of the Old
              Testament.
              By the end of the 5th century the Western church had followed suit.
              This does not, of course, apply to the Goths who were Arians, but certainly
              as far as the Visigoths in Spain were concerned, they seemed to be very
              assiduous about using Germanic names (changing to Roman names if, as
              individuals, they converted to Catholicism)
              Furthermore, there seems to have been a split between Ostrogoths and
              Visigoths in one respect: the Ostrogoths (in particular, Theoderic or
              however you want to spell the name) were possibly the least antisemitic
              group around, and the Visigoths were the worst. So whereas Ostrogoths might
              conceivably use Biblical names, I very much doubt that Visigoths would.
              Actually, what I could really do with is Burgundian names. In general, I've
              been reduced to making lists of name-elements according to whether they can
              come first or second or stand alone, and selecting at random, but this isn't
              really satisfactory.