Re: Ostrogothic Dress

  • wagnijo
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2002
      --- In gothic-l@y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@s...> wrote:

      > Dirk,
      > I did not comment on the runestone as I have no argument. There are
      > so many interpretations that I have no opinion.
      >
      > On the other hand about early Baltic Sea relations I know quite a
      lot
      > and learn more every day.
      >
      > That we have not found any physical sailing ship wrecks from the
      6th
      > century is no argument that they did not sail in the Baltic in the
      > 6th century.

      There is a lack of wrecks from the Nydam boat to the
      first "vikingships" but this does not mean that there is no evidence.
      Quite a lot of ship parts have been found from this period, but there
      is no trace of a mast. This could be explained because a mast is
      valuable and it would be one of the the first parts that if possible
      would be salvaged from a wrecked ship.
      But a mast and a rig from a fully developed sailing ship leaves many
      traces. You would expect to find traces of a keel; none is found and
      allthough keels were likely to have been salvaged too you might find
      evidence in the hull shapes indicated - but no.
      You would expect to find structural support for the mast when up or
      down; none is found.
      You would expect to find traces of standing and running rig in the
      "gunwhale" boards;
      none is found. But there are plenty of evidence for oarpropulsion in
      those found

      > If we have fully developed sailing ships on our picture stones from
      > the 7th century there must have been a development over some time.

      Which pictures of fully developed sailing ships from the 7th c are you
      thinking of? Even the late pictures show ships that would be
      extremely poor to sail if they were rebuild with the rig and
      proportions shown. It might be due to the iconography
      used but it is the case as seen with the replica 'Krampmacken'
      The early stones show ships that are interpreted as transitional
      between oarpropulsion and sails, _but where oarpower still had 1.
      priority_. These ships seem to have no keel but instead an
      attached 'bard'/'beard' at the stem and stern to prevent
      drifting when under sail.

      Cheers
      Søren Larsen