Prehistoric Ships and Boats in Scandinavia

  • Bertil Haggman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2002
      Dear Listmembers and Tore,

      On prehistoric boats and ships of northwestern Europe
      I would like to recommend Gad Rausing's book from
      1984 underneath:

      Rausing, Gad, (1922-2000 )
      _Prehistoric boats and ships of northwestern Europe :
      some reflections_
      Malmoe : LiberFoerlag/Gleerup, 1984, 144 pages in the Series
      Fraan forntid till medeltid # 8.

      Concerning Erik Nyléns writings I would like to mention his
      reflections in the essay "Goterna, Gotland och Gutasagan"
      (1979). In southern Scandinavia, so Nylén, it seems to have
      been a change around 150 AD in technics. Ships were now
      constructed in a size that made transport of many men possible over
      wide stretches of water, and coastal seapower was changed
      in to open water seapower. This ships communication probably
      established a Baltic Sea Culture with centers on Gotland, Oeland
      and the island of Bornholm (Burgundarholm). My own reflection
      is that the new ships at this time were sailing ships.

      Typical of the area or culture 100 BC to 200 AD was for example the
      filigran technique, making of iron weapons and ovens of a Celtic type
      for making iron.