Re: [gothic-l] Gothic words?

  • Sahin Ahmet
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      If anybody could answer some fundamental questions for me .?
      By what word did Goths call themselves?.
      Is it the same for both visi and ostro goths?
      Is the term "Goth" is an outsider term?
      what commonality was there between the ostro and visi goths that made them goths different from other germanic tribes.?

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        On 1 Feb 2002, at 4:03, Sahin Ahmet wrote:

        > If anybody could answer some fundamental questions for me .?
        > By what word did Goths call themselves?.
        Dear Sahin Ahmet,

        by epigraphic sources from the third century they called
        themselves Guththa, in texts from the fourth century also Tervingi
        or Vesi and Greuthingi or Ostrogothi, by official Latin texts from
        the Ostrogothic and the Visigothic kingdom Gothus pl. Gothi and
        Ostrogothi and Visigothi.
        Is it
        > the same for both visi and ostro goths? Is the term "Goth" is an
        > outsider term?

        It is the same for both Visigothi and Ostrogothi and Gothus is not
        an outsider term.

        what commonality was there between the ostro and visi
        > goths that made them goths different from other germanic tribes.?

        They spoke Gothic and they called themselves Goths, and
        Visigoths and Ostrogoths had close relations and were followers of
        Arius, i.e. homoian Christians.

        In this list were several lists of books about the Goths, please read
        at least one of them.

        Kind regards
        Andreas
        Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
        Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
        Universität Wien
        Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
        A-1010 Wien
        Österreich
        Tel.0043/1/42-77/272-16
        Fax 0043/142-77/92-72
      • M. Carver
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          andreas.schwarcz@... wrote:

          > On 1 Feb 2002, at 4:03, Sahin Ahmet wrote:
          >

          > > If anybody could answer some fundamental questions for me .?
          > > By what word did Goths call themselves?.
          > Dear Sahin Ahmet,
          >
          > by epigraphic sources from the third century they called
          > themselves Guththa, in texts from the fourth century also Tervingi
          > or Vesi and Greuthingi or Ostrogothi, by official Latin texts from
          > the Ostrogothic and the Visigothic kingdom Gothus pl. Gothi and
          > Ostrogothi and Visigothi.
          > Is it

          Hails Sahin jah Andraias:

          Guththa = ? Gut-thiuda. They called themselves 'Gut-Thiuda', the "Gothic-people" (cf. Kalendar, 23., 29. October),
          (4. c.). Gut- (no 'h') has been reconstructed as the stem, with weak ( 'n") declension, as with other race-names:
          Guta*, pl. Gutan*. This is based on the runic engraving on the Goldring of Petrossa, among other sources such as
          personal names. Guta* < *Gotan < ? ablaut form of Germ. *geutan "gießen", pour, < ? PIE *gheud-. Related gothic
          words are *gutisks "gothic" (inferred from Gothiscanza, parsed as "Gutisk-andja", Gothic territorial boundaries);
          *gutnan 4 "become poured out, become spilled out" (v. giutan); *Guto, fN, "female Goth".

          Matthaius