The Formation of the Goths

  • Bertil Haggman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2002
      Thank you for your comment. I value your information on facts
      but I am sorry I cannot agree with your conclusions.

      May I quote Wolfram again:

      "Swedish Vaestergoetland and Ostergoetland, however,
      as well as the island of Gotland, are not merely Gothicized but
      actual Gothic-Gautic names. The similarity of the name of
      the Gothic people and that of the island of Gotland seems
      to support the migration legend of _Origo Gothica_.
      This area was also the home of the medieval Gutasaga,
      which relates that overpopulation led the people to draw
      lots and the inhabitants thus chosen emigrated."

      Most certainly recent research and scholarship on the
      Goths in Scandinavia have nothing to do with 17th
      century Gothicism, which flourished in many countries
      including Austria.

      I have already provided a very short bibliographic
      list on recently published books that are of interest
      for further study of Goths and their history. They have
      nothing to do with Gothicism.

      It is my hope that with your knowledge you do not
      accept a thesis that for instance someone like Heather
      is presenting a history of the formation of the Goths
      that is the "historical truth" or "close to historical truth".

      Bertil Haggman

      I am really struck by your way of distorting a scholarly view. Let me
      complete the sentence on p.37 of Wolfram's book after your dots:

      "..., the more so since the picture of a Gothic migration from one
      end of Europe to another certainly does not do justice to historical
      reality."