Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

    Message 1 of 81 , Jan 18, 2002
      --- In gothic-l@y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@s...> wrote:

      > >Tore,
      > >
      > >Fagerlie's book which appeared in the 1960s is unfortunately based
      on
      > >outdated historical and archaeological sources, which not only
      > >influenced, but even drove her interpretations. She linked sporadic
      > >finds to contacts for which there is no evidence and which are not
      > >likely. For example, seeking to link a Leontius coin of Antioch to
      > >the Ostrogoths is highly contrived and not believable. If you read
      > >modern literature on this field you will find that these
      > >interpretations are no longer accepted. The leading expert on
      > >Ostrogothic (and late Roman) coinage M. Metlich stated that
      > >Fagerlie's interpretations are untenable. Her book should not be
      used
      > >to bring order to this discussion, unfortunately.
      > >
      > >Dirk
      > >

      > Dirk,
      > I now have the book mentioned by you,
      >
      > Money of the Incipient
      > Byzantine Empire
      > (Anastasius I- Justinian I, 491-565)
      >
      > Wolfgang Hahn with the collaboration of M.A.Metlich
      >
      > I can't see that there is anything that conflicts with Fagerlie.

      Tore,

      as I told you in private e-mail, the MIBE is a major catalogue of
      Byzantine coinage and there would not be anything in there that would
      contradict Fagerlie, because it is not dealing with the same subject.

      > Metlich deals with coins from Anastasius to Justinian I.
      >
      > Fagerlie deals with coins prior to this.
      >
      > For all the Anastasius solidis the striking seems to have been done
      > in Constantinopel except for some in Thessalonica.
      >
      > According to Metlich none were struck in Italy.

      Believe me, coins in the name of Anastasius were struck at Rome with
      the mint mark COMOB and others. These are the Ostrogothic solidi
      under Theoderic. I have several of those myself. Also, there are a
      few solidi which show the Greek letter 'Theta' as monogram for
      Theoderic. There is no way that Metlich said that no coin in the name
      of Anastasius were struck in Italy. Otherwise, we would have no
      Ostrogothic soldi! To see for yourself go the the following link:

      http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/antike.htm

      On the left-hand side scroll down to 'Voelkerwanderung' and then
      click on 'Ostrogothisches Koenigreich in Italien'. The first coin
      that comes up is a solidus in the name of Anastasius minted at Rome,
      as explained in the text below and as can be seen from the mint mark
      COMOB.

      > I can only find Fagerlies name in the Bibliography.

      I think she worked mainly in the 1950 and 60s.

      Dirk

      Message 81 of 81 , Jan 18, 2002