[gothic-l] Re: Geographic Location of the Goths

  • Sean Crist
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 1999
      On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Tomas Mac an Chrosain wrote:

      > I am still awaiting any responses to what happen to those Ostrogoths who
      > stayed behind in Crimea and were reported have have still been speaking
      > a late form of Gothic in Busbeq's writing. I would suspect that they
      > somehow survived the Huns, Turko-Tatars and Altaic invasions and were
      > eventually assimilated into Ukrainian speaking culture. Surely there
      > must have been some study of survivals of Gothic folklore among
      > Ukrainians descended from these Goths?

      I think the problem is that we don't really have any good information
      about what Gothic folklore might have been like, especially that late.
      So even if it were possible to separate out such cultural influences, we
      don't know what we're looking for.

      > Also, I understood that the Franks spoke Old Franconian until
      > assimilating to Gallo-Roman Latin (French), the Vandals spoke some
      > dialect of Gothic and the Lombards spoke an early form of Old High
      > German. I also recall that the Gepids spoke Gothic or some East Germanic
      > dialect related to Gothic. What happen to them? Did they assimilate into
      > Baltic or Slavic culture?
      > Tomas

      You are correct that the Franks spoke Old Franconian. As for the other
      dialects you mention, the problem is that these languages are extremely
      poorly attested; as far as I remember, all we have are a few inscriptions.
      I do vaguely remember that Vandal and Burgundian are said to be East
      Germanic languages as Gothic is; but those languages are rarely mentioned
      in serious discussion of e.g. the reconstruction of proto-Germanic, since
      they don't tell us anything which we can't get with more certainty from
      the better attested languages.

      It would make sense for Lombard to be a dialect of Old High German, but I
      don't know for sure.

      \/ __ __ _\_ --Sean Crist (kurisuto@...)
      --- | | \ / http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l