[gothic-l] *Stafs, stabeis; Forum for Gothic Vocabulary

  • M. Edward Carver
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26 3:21 PM

      As I thought. The case with *stafs is similar to that of staþs in that
      respect (with gen. sg. 'stadis' *'stabis'); i.e. as a member of the
      masculine i-declension. Naturally the intervocalic d/b/g/ are in such
      cases most often representative of the stem sound, while the alternate
      form before the nom. mas. sg. ending -s (staþs, *stafs) or acc. -0
      (staþ, staf) is perforce the assimilated form.

      I am considering adding a section on the Gothic Language Pages as a
      forum for the proposal/discussion of new Gothic words, starting with
      those words whose paradigms are incomplete, followed by those completely
      unattested. I would tenatively make a list of the proposed words and be
      open to advocacy, argument or comment. After a word is more or less
      agreed upon, it could be added to the glossary, perhaps with a (*) mark
      to show that it is (partially) synthetic. Please email me with
      comments, reactions, and even suggestions of words for the forum.

      Unté allata waírþiþ,