[gothic-l] Re: compounds again

  • Joris Van Looveren
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 1999
      Christian Petersen wrote:
      > And Matt: The words 'glauben' < 'ge-lauben', 'ga-laubjan', and
      > 'be-lieve' are all of the same origin.
      > In German, however, there's no *'lauben', neither is there *'lieve' in
      > English, is it?
      > So what do you think is the meaning of that root?

      In dutch 'glauben' is 'geloven' (believe). The verb 'loven' also exists;
      it means 'praise' I think, in the sense of praising somebody when he did
      something well. We also have 'beloven' (promise), zich verloven (to
      become engaged), uitloven (offer, specifically a reward), and probably a
      couple more that I can't think of right now.

      Joris Van Looveren.
      --
      joris@...

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
    • Christian Petersen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 1999
        Joris Van Looveren schreef:
        In dutch 'glauben' is 'geloven' (believe). The verb 'loven' also exists;
        it means 'praise' I think, in the sense of praising somebody when he did
        something well. We also have 'beloven' (promise), zich verloven (to
        become engaged), uitloven (offer, specifically a reward), and probably a
        couple more that I can't think of right now.
        Joris, I think you have confused 2 roots here;
        one belonging to Dutch 'lof ' (German 'Lob') and 'loof' (German 'Laub'),
        the other one belonging to the one Matt has mentioned.
        Best wishes
        Chris

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
      • Stephen Mark Carey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 1999

          > In dutch 'glauben' is 'geloven' (believe). The verb 'loven' also exists;
          > it means 'praise' I think, in the sense of praising somebody when he did
          > something well. We also have 'beloven' (promise), zich verloven (to
          > become engaged), uitloven (offer, specifically a reward), and probably a
          > couple more that I can't think of right now.
          >
          > Joris Van Looveren.
          > --
          > joris@...

          But aren't we dealing with two different roots in the list of words that
          you give here? i.e., lauben and loben.

          Stephen M. Carey
          Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures
          Washington University in St. Louis
          Campus Box 1104
          One Brookings Drive
          St. Louis, MO 63130

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
        • Grsartor@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 1999
            Hailai!

            I am not erudite enough to shed much light on the original meaning of the
            roots of Germanic verbs, but I feel justified in commenting on the view that
            a prefix is unlikely to have no meaning. Consider the use of "up" and "down"
            in English, which when combined with verbs seem to play much the same role as
            prefixes in other tongues. Let us begin with the expression to break (a
            thing) up. The meaning is not greatly changed by omission of up. It is true
            that you would more likely speak of a stone as breaking a window than
            breaking it up, since the stone does not go about its destructive action with
            such persistence or thoroughness as would justify the adverb's addition. In
            to botch a job up, the up, I would say, is at most an intensifier, and can
            happily be left out; and in to mess a thing up, the last word, though again
            presumably no more than an intensifier, has become such a regular companion
            of mess as to resist omission. Similar remarks could be made about down.
            Consider, for example, to fall down (as if you are likely to descend in any
            other direction). And to slow down is the same as to slow up, and we have
            little reason to attribute a meaning to the word appended to slow.

            We can get further insight into how redundancy can be introduced into
            languages by considering the word dangerous. When were you last told a thing
            was dangerous? At least in my corner of the English-speaking world, that
            which may cause injury or damage is 9 times out of 10 either extremely
            dangerous or else very dangerous indeed: a thing that is merely dangerous
            does not seem to present a hazard great enough to be worth commenting on. To
            return to verbs, could not the routine use of a verb with a prefix that
            either intensifies or otherwise seems appropriate to the action expressed by
            the root word not in some circumstances lead to the disappearance of the root
            as a verb in its own right?

            Gerry.

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l