[gothic-l] Memorial Poem

  • Abrigon Lists
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 1999
      ------------------------------

      Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:19:37 -0400
      From: Mary K Savelli <msavelli@...>
      Subject: memorial poem

      Melissa Bernstein (mjbn@...)
      Sarah Higley (slhi@...)

      I would appreciate comments on any errors in meter or grammar. (The
      translation following is not literal.)

      Hal sie,
      Mary S.

      Sorgath freo faeger and fela teara
      hire hordcofa heapath oferfull;
      eac Wodnes werod wepath tosomne
      swa murnath eall Osgeardes thone aefwyrdlan.
      Helle healfbrothor, heardlice Garm,
      trewothe totah and Tiw forswealg.
      Sarlice seofath swaer northanwind
      thaer aene heah hleahtor hlynede blithe.
      Na ma magon maegtha thone magorinc seon,
      strangra scyldra, scienendre ansiene;
      na ma daelath drengas dryncehorn mid him
      ne forgieldath beotword on beorscipe gesprecen.
      THone waepenwigan, wer bealdostne,
      slitere besyrwede on sithe ham.
      Nu aenlic we on swefnum seo heathurinc,
      beorna beaggiefan, beaduwisan.
      Ac lytel frofor fint aet faecnum swefnum
      aethele ides thaes ealdorlic freond
      waes mid waelwulfe gewegen of hire,
      thonne weccendum wuduwe werigcearu aethwierfth
      and wepath eall cyththu for cwen sorge.

      Grieves fair lady and with gathered tears
      her treasure-hoard heaps over-full;
      too, Woden's hosts weep together
      just as all Asgard mourns at their loss.
      Hel's half-brother, hard-hearted Garm,
      broke the truce and Tiw devoured.
      Sorrowful north wind sighs sadly
      where once deep laughter echoed loudly.
      No more may maidens look on mighty warrior,
      strong shoulders, shining countenance;
      no more may fighters share mead-horn with him
      nor repay proud boasts made in beer-hall.
      That champion, bravest knight,
      destroyer deceived on journey homeward.
      Now only in sleep will we see that warrior,
      gift-giver of champions, battle-guide.
      But noble lady finds little comfort
      in those dreams, whose dear lover
      was carried from her by carnivorous wolf,
      when grief returns for waking widow
      and weep all countrymen for queen of sorrows.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l