[gothic-l] Re: root sense reconstruction

  • mcarver
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14 10:11 AM
      Tomas.Kindahl@... wrote:

      > "Siuns" seems easy to me, Wolfgang Krause says "vision" (meaning the
      > eye-vision - in fact he says "Gesicht", "das Sehen", my German is rather
      > shallow) without a star. In Swedish "vision" is "syn".

      i agree that siuns is related to these abovementioned. the problem
      here, however, is the lexical category, that siuns is labelled an
      adjective--or rather the derivative anasiuns is, and therefore it is
      assumed that the root is an adjective as well. we have of course
      encountered homophones which in actuality are noun and adjective of the
      same idea.... however there might not be much difference between siuns
      and anasiuns (visible). i do grant that ana- added to attested (sf)
      noun "siuns" (sight, appearance) could by rules of Gothic word formation
      render it an adjective.

      Matt

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gothic-l