Re: Names of Heruls

  • Troels Brandt
    Message 1 of 78 , Nov 30, 2001
      --- In gothic-l@y..., dirk@s... wrote:
      > --- In gothic-l@y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I did not ask about the Fennae. Taking your manipulation-theories
      > > in other connections in consideration, I expect your answer on
      > > the two questions about the midnightsun before opening the
      > > discussion again. Take your time if that is what you need.

      > Troels

      > as long as you accuse me of presenting 'manipulation-theories'
      > there is really no point in discussing this matter further.

      Dirk

      This must be a misunderstanding due to my language rather than an
      evasion. I did not write that you were manipulating, if this is your
      problem, but you have from the beginning accused Procopius to
      manipulate both the names and the story about the Heruls in order to
      show, that it was possible to repatriate the barbarians. Normally you
      have referred to a theory about such a manipulation presented by
      Goffart, but this motive does not cover the description of the
      midnightsun and the source for that. This should also be a lie as it
      contradicts Goffart.

      Troels
    • troels_brandt
      Message 78 of 78 , Dec 10, 2001
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
        > --- In gothic-l@y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt@p...> wrote:
        > You cannot seriously assume that he was speaking of 'returning
        Heruls'
        > when he wrote about people from the island of Thule coming to
        > Constantinopel.

        Dirk,

        Actually this whole chapter of Gothic Wars was dedicated the
        consequences of those "returning Heruls".

        > BTW, I got two replies from Swedish archaeologists whom I contacted
        > directly. One of them worked at the royal tombs at Uppsala, but
        both
        > of them completely reject the idea of East Germans (let alone
        Heruls)
        > having anything to do with Sweden. In fact, one of them calls this
        > 'resilient myths' that has absolutely no foundation in archaeology.

        I already made my comments to such claims in MSG 5162.

        Troels