Fwd: Re: Fwd: [gothic-l] Names of Heruls

  • jdm314@aol.com
    Message 1 of 78 , Nov 26, 2001
      I sent the original posting to our former member David Salo, knowing that he
      would come up with a better answer than I could. Here is what he said:

      In a message dated 11/26/01 3:34:37 PM, dsalo@... wrote:

      <<
      At least some of these names are clearly Germanic, and many of them
      probably so: Alaric = Go. Alareiks "All-ruler", Fara = Go. *Fara
      "Traveller", Fulcharis = *Ful(la)harjis "Full-army", Philemuth = *Filumods
      "Many-mind", Roduulf = *Hrothawulfs "Glory-wulf" (Rudolf, Rolf), Sindualt
      perhaps = *Swinthawalds "Strength-power". Aordus probably includes -wards
      "guardian" (maybe Aiwwards "Eternal guardian"?), Suartuas certainly
      includes Swart- "black" (but perhaps the second element is Celtic, cf.
      Welsh gwas < *wassos?), Fanitheus probably includes -thius "servant".
      Silinga includes the well known tribal suffix -ing (and the Silings were on
      of the branches of the Vandal tribe). Of course this only shows that the
      names are Germanic, not necessarily Gothic. Others look strange. E.g.
      Datius -- I don't think Datja or Datjis means anything; Naulobates -- maybe
      includes nagl- "nail"?? Ochus, whatever it was originally, seems to have
      been remodelled to resemble the Greek transcription of the Iranian name
      *Wa(h)ukah. Uligagus looks awfully like a scribal error for something
      else.

      From: dsalo@...
      To: Jdm314@...
      Subject: Re: Fwd: [gothic-l] Names of Heruls
      Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:00:06 GMT

    • troels_brandt
      Message 78 of 78 , Dec 10, 2001
        --- In gothic-l@y..., "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
        > --- In gothic-l@y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt@p...> wrote:
        > You cannot seriously assume that he was speaking of 'returning
        Heruls'
        > when he wrote about people from the island of Thule coming to
        > Constantinopel.

        Dirk,

        Actually this whole chapter of Gothic Wars was dedicated the
        consequences of those "returning Heruls".

        > BTW, I got two replies from Swedish archaeologists whom I contacted
        > directly. One of them worked at the royal tombs at Uppsala, but
        both
        > of them completely reject the idea of East Germans (let alone
        Heruls)
        > having anything to do with Sweden. In fact, one of them calls this
        > 'resilient myths' that has absolutely no foundation in archaeology.

        I already made my comments to such claims in MSG 5162.

        Troels