[gothic-l] Passive

  • babeck@alphalink.com.au
      Subject: Passive
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:11:04 -0000
      From: babeck@...
      To: gothic-l@egroups.com

      I replied to David Salo's answer to my query, but the reply did not seem to
      get through. So I will repeat the substance of the reply and hope I am
      more lucky this time.
      Thanks David. I found your information very interesting and I could see
      how a 1st person plural form of -amida could become -anda, merging with the
      3rd person.
      I found a reference on the Web to 'haiteka'. It was in an article on
      runic inscriptions by our fellow gothic-l contributor, Bertil Haggman.
      Bertil gives these two inscriptions with 'haiteka' and 'hateka', both
      apparently meaning 'am called'.
      ek erilaR leubaR, HarabanaR haiteka runor waritu
      ek erilaR sawilagaR hateka
      Since 'ek' already appears in the inscription, I am not sure about your
      explanation of haiteka = haita + eka. Perhaps Bertil can shed some
      light on this.

      Goleins,
      Brian

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gothic-l