Mjollnir

  • M. Carver
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2001
      Apropos to the Mjöllnir-etymologic discussion:
      we find in Gothic, gamalwjan (w1) "grind".

      I was under the impression that -nir was
      a Norse agentive suffix with back-formed -n-
      from earlier verbal or nominal -an- + regular
      agentive -ir (? Go. *-eis).

      That should give *Thunaris hammer a name like
      *Malweis/*Malwja. Of course the details
      of Gothic mythology are for the most part
      indetectable.

      Matþaius