Re: [gothic-l] Amali insignia

  • sunburst
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3 10:27 AM
      Hails Bertil!

      >Seen reference that on coins they carried pilos (don't
      >know what pilos is?) as head ornament. Also a collar
      >cloak has been mentioned and in the case of
      >Amalaswintha a tiara.

      Interesting. Is the pilos reference from Jordanes Pilleatai, or is there
      another reference for such? I have seen a number of Gothic coins, but none
      of the figures
      on them were wearing any type of felt hat (thanks Matthaiu!). Maybe Dirk
      would know if such a depiction exists?

      Albareiks
    • keth@online.no
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3 2:26 PM
        Mat├żaius wrote:

        >on 8/3/01 12:27 AM, Beril Haggman at mvk575b@... wrote:
        >
        >Athalaric and Amalaswintha
        >
        >Seen reference that on coins they carried pilos (don't
        >know what pilos is?) as head ornament. Also a collar
        >cloak has been mentioned and in the case of
        >Amalaswintha a tiara.
        >

        >Liddell and Scott say for Pilos from classical Greek sources:
        >
        >I wool or hair made into felt, used as a lining for helmets; for shoes. II
        >anything made of felt, a felt skullcap like the modern fez. 2 a felt cloth.
        >3 a felt cuirass.

        Could it be something like a Phrygian cap?

        I also have a picture of Amalaswinthas head, which is a bust
        made of smooth stone. She wears an ornament in her hair that
        looks like a chain and in the front there is something that looks
        like a little medallion with 3 little hangers attached too it.
        I also have a photo of a colden medallion that show Theoderic
        en face. "rex theodericv spivsprincis" the Latin text says.
        He wears Roman attire and holds up in his left hand somthing that
        looks like an apple, and on top of the apple is a little angel(?)
        holding what lookes like a plume and a diadem. The plume could
        be a quill for writing, and the diadem looks a bit like a Greek
        omega. Maybe these are the royal insignia that you were looking
        for? Apart from that there isn't much concrete symbolism, except
        for a kind of abstract art that seems to make a point of displaying
        not symbols, but rather ornaments. What I do see, however, is
        Theoderic's monogram on top of some capitels. (stone pillars)
        By ornamental I mean flowers and wavy bands and things like that.

        What you do find are the various bird forms, but they wouldn't
        be vultures, I don't think, because there are no such birds
        in Northern Europe, though there might be some in Iran (?)
        Then there are the many belt clasps and fibulae. But here
        to the decorative patterns are remarkably abstract. Definitely
        not symbolic in the sense of the later heraldic symbolism.
        Perhaps these were 12th century artists who represented
        Theoderic in the style of the artist's own century, which caused
        him to look like a 12th century knight with shield and lance?
        In that case heraldic symbols may have been added to the shield
        by the artist. But such symbols probably only represented
        the artist idea of what kind of "coat of arms" the legendary
        king might have used. I do see a star on one medallian from Spain,
        but from the context (Maria with Child) it is clear that it is
        the Star of Bethlehem. I do not recall seeing many stars in
        Germanic ornament/symbolism. Usually what you see, if you look
        closely, are sometimes serpents, one-headed and two-headed ones.
        Or other animals. Also many small concentric circles often
        stamped on combs and ornaments such as belt buckles. Does any
        one know what they might have signified? Crescents I have seen
        as ornament/symbols in some cases, but not often. Crescent with
        star sounds like the Turkish flag to me.

        Best regards
        Keth
      • Beril Haggman
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3 10:19 PM
          Keth,

          So the question is if Amalaswintha was of
          of Amal royal blood? Probably yes as
          Ermanaric was Theoderic's forefather.
          But Albareiks is looking for Amali insignia
          from an earlier time, before, I guess, Bysantian
          influence was becoming notecable.

          Older insignia (without details) are mentioned
          in _Getica_ in connection for instance once
          with King Tiudimir.

          Gothically

          Bertil

        • dirk@smra.co.uk
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6 4:14 AM
            Hi Keth and the others,

            there is a depiction of a noble Roman women (believed to be
            Amalasuentha, but not certain) wearing this Phrygian Cap. I can
            positively say that there are no coins of any Ostrogothic ruler
            showing that type of head-gear. I remember that as a sign of royalty,
            an Ostrogothic king wore his hair unparted, but I am not sure about
            the exact source!

            The depiction of Theoderic on the gold medallion shows him holding a
            globe with the Roman goddess victory on top. Otherwise, his atire is
            that of a noble Roman. There is no depiction of Amalasuentha on any
            coin. Not even here name appears on a coin. There is also no portrait
            of Athalaricus. Theodahat was the first and only Ostrogothic rule to
            show his real, life-like portray on a coin. On these coins he is
            wearing what some people called a Spangenhelm, others despribed it as
            crown of Italy. He wears a large cross around his neck. Theodahatus is
            depicted as a slightly fat man, with neck-long hair and a moustache.
            The reverse is again the Roman Victory.

            On coins of Baduila, the king is presented in frontal view. The
            portrait is highly stylised, but a moustache is discernable on better
            specimines. Baduila also wears the 'Spangenhelm' (i.e. crown of
            Italy). None of the Ostrogothic coins show an Amal insignum of any
            type. However, as I said earlier, the Theodric monogramme seemed to
            have been used in that way on coins, artwork and documents.

            cheers,
            Dirk

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7 1:28 AM
              --- In gothic-l@y..., keth@o... wrote:
              > What you do find are the various bird forms, but they wouldn't
              > be vultures, I don't think, because there are no such birds
              > in Northern Europe, though there might be some in Iran (?)

              I have read somewhere that the bird-shaped fibulae of Goths and
              Gepids, representing birds of prey, are due to Iranic influence.
              On the other hand, the Goths knew the eagles, since there is a word
              for these birds in Gothic: ara, having cognates in other Germanic
              languages (OE earn, Eng. ern(e), MLG arn, Germ. dial. Aar, etc.)

              Francisc
            • dirk@smra.co.uk
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7 3:09 AM
                --- In gothic-l@y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor@c...> wrote:
                > --- In gothic-l@y..., keth@o... wrote:
                > > What you do find are the various bird forms, but they wouldn't
                > > be vultures, I don't think, because there are no such birds
                > > in Northern Europe, though there might be some in Iran (?)
                >
                > I have read somewhere that the bird-shaped fibulae of Goths and
                > Gepids, representing birds of prey, are due to Iranic influence.
                > On the other hand, the Goths knew the eagles, since there is a word
                > for these birds in Gothic: ara, having cognates in other Germanic
                > languages (OE earn, Eng. ern(e), MLG arn, Germ. dial. Aar, etc.)
                >
                > Francisc

                Hi Francisc,

                eagles lived all over Europe in these days and they are still living
                in the Alps and other parts and they played an important role in the
                mythology of many peoples. For the Romans it was usually associated
                with the dead and the eagle carried the soul of the dead away to
                heaven. Ostrogothic 40-nummi coins show a sitting Eagle, spreading its
                wings and turning its head backwards. This eagle is, most likely
                aluding to Roman traditions rather than Gothic beliefs, as this would
                be in keeping with the design on other Ostrogothic coins (Romulus and
                Remus, Roma-head, Victory, etc.)

                cheers,