Re: Goths and Bavaria

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
      hI kETH,

      --- In gothic-l@y..., keth@o... wrote:
      > Hello Dirk!
      Bajuwaren"
      > who are supposed to have come from Bohemia. (any connection with
      > the Boii?)

      The Boii were a Celtic tribe who gave the name "Bohemia" (from
      Boio-haemus). "Baju-wari" means in fact "dwellers of the Boii(-land)",
      because they lived in Bohemia before coming in Bavaria.

      > However when I looked under "Bairisch" (writen with "i", whereas
      Bayern
      > is written with "y" - any one know why?), the Brockhaus referred to
      > "deutsche mundarten" and under that topos I found an interesting map
      > of the Germanic dialects. And there I found something that surprised
      > me; for it became clear that linguists refer to the language spoken
      in
      > Tirol *also as bairisch ! ! ! Now why didn't that come up on the
      list
      > as we discussed this before? I even specifically mentioned Süd
      Tirol,
      > with Bozen and the Brenner. Now if all that is *also Bairisch
      (linguist-
      > ically speaking), then that changes things quite a bit. No wonder I
      > found I could understand Bairisch when I visited there some years
      ago,
      > after having spent many months in Tirol.
      >
      > You see, what I thought until now, was that Bairisch referred
      strictly to
      > the dialect spoken within the present borders of the Teilstaat
      Bayern.
      > But if the dialect spoken in Tirol (Innsbruck!) is also bairisch,
      > then that changes things quite a bit from my point of view.
      >
      > However, what the map *also says (o, erstaunen, erstaunen) is that
      > Vienna is *also in the "bairischen mundarten" area. Now, that is
      > beginning to sound a bit odd to me. For if there is something that
      > is certain, then it is that the "Wienersprache" has a very distinct
      > note to it, that distinguishes it from other Austrian dialects.
      > And especially "bairisch". More likely is perhaps the attribution
      > of Steiermärkisch to bairisch, but even that is a long distance
      > from Tirol, and clearly distinguishable, even to my ear. (or maybe
      > especially to my ear)

      In all the classifications of the German dialects that I have seen,
      one division of the "Oberdeutsch" part of Hochdeutsch is
      Bairisch(-Österreichisch), where are included not only the dialects of
      Bavaria, but also those of Austria and the Alto Adige (= South Tirol)
      province of northern Italy.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
        --- In gothic-l@y..., keth@o... wrote:
        > And besides, if it was the Kelts who founded it, then its
        > original name might not have been "Mediolanum", which sounds
        > Latin to me.

        Mediolanum is considered a Celtic toponym, meaning "middle plain".
        medio- "middle" is Celtic, inherited from Indo-European, that's why it
        sound similar to Lat. medius, Goth. midjis, Greek mezos, Sanskrit
        madhya etc.
        lan- "field, plain" appears in many Celtic topnyms.
        Only the ending -um indicates a latinization of the original Celtic
        place name.