Amali insignia

  • Beril Haggman
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
      Albareiks,

      Thanks for your latest. Did some additional
      research but found no details on the Amali
      insignia.

      Eruli

      Eruli royal insignia seem to have at one
      stage been taken by Lombard King Tato
      "vexillum, quod bandum appelant" (a banner). Also Rodulf's
      helmet would have been an insignia.

      Theoderic the Great (vestis regia=royal dress)

      He sported a lance and shield as we know from
      the Roek Stone and other sources.

      Totila, 6th century AD

      He is said to have a helmet, that could have
      had Iranian or Byzantine origin art work.

      Athalaric and Amalaswintha

      Seen reference that on coins they carried pilos (don't
      know what pilos is?) as head ornament. Also a collar
      cloak has been mentioned and in the case of
      Amalaswintha a tiara.

      Langobard and Visigothic kings were to some degree
      crowned. Evidence from the Monza and Guarrazar treasures).

      The wearing of trabeas by Visigothic kings is mentioned
      in some material (trabea=a cermonial toga).

      But of Amal insignia descriptions no trace so far.

      Gothically

      Bertil
    • M. Carver
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
        on 8/3/01 12:27 AM, Beril Haggman at mvk575b@... wrote:

        Athalaric and Amalaswintha

        Seen reference that on coins they carried pilos (don't
        know what pilos is?) as head ornament. Also a collar
        cloak has been mentioned and in the case of
        Amalaswintha a tiara.

        Liddell and Scott say for Pilos from classical Greek sources:

        I wool or hair made into felt, used as a lining for helmets; for shoes. II
        anything made of felt, a felt skullcap like the modern fez. 2 a felt cloth.
        3 a felt cuirass.

        Matþaius

      • sunburst
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
          Hails Bertil!

          >Seen reference that on coins they carried pilos (don't
          >know what pilos is?) as head ornament. Also a collar
          >cloak has been mentioned and in the case of
          >Amalaswintha a tiara.

          Interesting. Is the pilos reference from Jordanes Pilleatai, or is there
          another reference for such? I have seen a number of Gothic coins, but none
          of the figures
          on them were wearing any type of felt hat (thanks Matthaiu!). Maybe Dirk
          would know if such a depiction exists?

          Albareiks
        • keth@online.no
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
            Matþaius wrote:

            >on 8/3/01 12:27 AM, Beril Haggman at mvk575b@... wrote:
            >
            >Athalaric and Amalaswintha
            >
            >Seen reference that on coins they carried pilos (don't
            >know what pilos is?) as head ornament. Also a collar
            >cloak has been mentioned and in the case of
            >Amalaswintha a tiara.
            >

            >Liddell and Scott say for Pilos from classical Greek sources:
            >
            >I wool or hair made into felt, used as a lining for helmets; for shoes. II
            >anything made of felt, a felt skullcap like the modern fez. 2 a felt cloth.
            >3 a felt cuirass.

            Could it be something like a Phrygian cap?

            I also have a picture of Amalaswinthas head, which is a bust
            made of smooth stone. She wears an ornament in her hair that
            looks like a chain and in the front there is something that looks
            like a little medallion with 3 little hangers attached too it.
            I also have a photo of a colden medallion that show Theoderic
            en face. "rex theodericv spivsprincis" the Latin text says.
            He wears Roman attire and holds up in his left hand somthing that
            looks like an apple, and on top of the apple is a little angel(?)
            holding what lookes like a plume and a diadem. The plume could
            be a quill for writing, and the diadem looks a bit like a Greek
            omega. Maybe these are the royal insignia that you were looking
            for? Apart from that there isn't much concrete symbolism, except
            for a kind of abstract art that seems to make a point of displaying
            not symbols, but rather ornaments. What I do see, however, is
            Theoderic's monogram on top of some capitels. (stone pillars)
            By ornamental I mean flowers and wavy bands and things like that.

            What you do find are the various bird forms, but they wouldn't
            be vultures, I don't think, because there are no such birds
            in Northern Europe, though there might be some in Iran (?)
            Then there are the many belt clasps and fibulae. But here
            to the decorative patterns are remarkably abstract. Definitely
            not symbolic in the sense of the later heraldic symbolism.
            Perhaps these were 12th century artists who represented
            Theoderic in the style of the artist's own century, which caused
            him to look like a 12th century knight with shield and lance?
            In that case heraldic symbols may have been added to the shield
            by the artist. But such symbols probably only represented
            the artist idea of what kind of "coat of arms" the legendary
            king might have used. I do see a star on one medallian from Spain,
            but from the context (Maria with Child) it is clear that it is
            the Star of Bethlehem. I do not recall seeing many stars in
            Germanic ornament/symbolism. Usually what you see, if you look
            closely, are sometimes serpents, one-headed and two-headed ones.
            Or other animals. Also many small concentric circles often
            stamped on combs and ornaments such as belt buckles. Does any
            one know what they might have signified? Crescents I have seen
            as ornament/symbols in some cases, but not often. Crescent with
            star sounds like the Turkish flag to me.

            Best regards
            Keth
          • Beril Haggman
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2001
              Keth,

              So the question is if Amalaswintha was of
              of Amal royal blood? Probably yes as
              Ermanaric was Theoderic's forefather.
              But Albareiks is looking for Amali insignia
              from an earlier time, before, I guess, Bysantian
              influence was becoming notecable.

              Older insignia (without details) are mentioned
              in _Getica_ in connection for instance once
              with King Tiudimir.

              Gothically

              Bertil

            • dirk@smra.co.uk
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2001
                Hi Keth and the others,

                there is a depiction of a noble Roman women (believed to be
                Amalasuentha, but not certain) wearing this Phrygian Cap. I can
                positively say that there are no coins of any Ostrogothic ruler
                showing that type of head-gear. I remember that as a sign of royalty,
                an Ostrogothic king wore his hair unparted, but I am not sure about
                the exact source!

                The depiction of Theoderic on the gold medallion shows him holding a
                globe with the Roman goddess victory on top. Otherwise, his atire is
                that of a noble Roman. There is no depiction of Amalasuentha on any
                coin. Not even here name appears on a coin. There is also no portrait
                of Athalaricus. Theodahat was the first and only Ostrogothic rule to
                show his real, life-like portray on a coin. On these coins he is
                wearing what some people called a Spangenhelm, others despribed it as
                crown of Italy. He wears a large cross around his neck. Theodahatus is
                depicted as a slightly fat man, with neck-long hair and a moustache.
                The reverse is again the Roman Victory.

                On coins of Baduila, the king is presented in frontal view. The
                portrait is highly stylised, but a moustache is discernable on better
                specimines. Baduila also wears the 'Spangenhelm' (i.e. crown of
                Italy). None of the Ostrogothic coins show an Amal insignum of any
                type. However, as I said earlier, the Theodric monogramme seemed to
                have been used in that way on coins, artwork and documents.

                cheers,
                Dirk

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 7, 2001
                  --- In gothic-l@y..., keth@o... wrote:
                  > What you do find are the various bird forms, but they wouldn't
                  > be vultures, I don't think, because there are no such birds
                  > in Northern Europe, though there might be some in Iran (?)

                  I have read somewhere that the bird-shaped fibulae of Goths and
                  Gepids, representing birds of prey, are due to Iranic influence.
                  On the other hand, the Goths knew the eagles, since there is a word
                  for these birds in Gothic: ara, having cognates in other Germanic
                  languages (OE earn, Eng. ern(e), MLG arn, Germ. dial. Aar, etc.)

                  Francisc
                • dirk@smra.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 7, 2001
                    --- In gothic-l@y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor@c...> wrote:
                    > --- In gothic-l@y..., keth@o... wrote:
                    > > What you do find are the various bird forms, but they wouldn't
                    > > be vultures, I don't think, because there are no such birds
                    > > in Northern Europe, though there might be some in Iran (?)
                    >
                    > I have read somewhere that the bird-shaped fibulae of Goths and
                    > Gepids, representing birds of prey, are due to Iranic influence.
                    > On the other hand, the Goths knew the eagles, since there is a word
                    > for these birds in Gothic: ara, having cognates in other Germanic
                    > languages (OE earn, Eng. ern(e), MLG arn, Germ. dial. Aar, etc.)
                    >
                    > Francisc

                    Hi Francisc,

                    eagles lived all over Europe in these days and they are still living
                    in the Alps and other parts and they played an important role in the
                    mythology of many peoples. For the Romans it was usually associated
                    with the dead and the eagle carried the soul of the dead away to
                    heaven. Ostrogothic 40-nummi coins show a sitting Eagle, spreading its
                    wings and turning its head backwards. This eagle is, most likely
                    aluding to Roman traditions rather than Gothic beliefs, as this would
                    be in keeping with the design on other Ostrogothic coins (Romulus and
                    Remus, Roma-head, Victory, etc.)

                    cheers,