[gothic-l] Archeological excavations

  • LBate18495@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6 3:04 PM
      Hello All
      Can anyone tell me what the oldest dating Gothic archaeological site is.
      Where are the major sites located? Is there a recent written work on their
      religious beliefs. Thank you Le.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l
    • Bertil Häggman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7 10:32 AM
        > Can anyone tell me what the oldest dating Gothic archaeological site is.
        > Where are the major sites located? Is there a recent written work on their
        >religious beliefs.

        For information on the oldest archeological Gothic
        sites I would like to refer to

        _Schaetze der Ostgoten - Eine Asusstellung der
        Maria Curie-Sklodowska Universitaet Lublin und
        des Landesmuseums Zamosc_ Stuttgart: Konrad
        Theiss Verlag GmbH & Co., 1995.

        It contains a rich treasure of photos, drawings
        of graves and a large bibliography from the
        time of the first trek of the Goths from Gothiscandza
        toward the Black Sea. This is essential reading
        to anybody wanting to study early Gothic
        archaeology. It is certainly available in most
        European libraries and possibly also in American
        libraries.

        The major sites are in Poland, Russia and Ukraine.

        Concerning the religious beliefs Wolfram should
        have material. Otherwise the basic text for
        the religious beliefs of the Germanic peoples is
        Tacitus, _Germania_, readily available in the Loeb
        Library of Ancient Greek and Latin texts.

        Gothic greetings

        Bertil Haggman

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gothic-l